9.26.2009

Spoiled Baby

Here's a little update: I have been feeling pretty good considering. I haven't vomited and I haven't missed work. (I don't know if I haven't vomited because I'm just lucky, or if my body is incapable of vomiting since I haven't vomited since I was 8 years old. Weird, I know.) I'm really tired all the time, but I like to sleep anyways, so I don't mind too much. Some days are worse than others, but I realize I haven't been as sick as most women, which I'm grateful for. My cravings include hard boiled eggs and Oreos. Not together, of course. (Okay, I always loved Oreos, now I just have an excuse to "crave" them. Ha,ha.)
The doctor says everything looks great. I'm now 13 weeks and I can't button up my pants anymore, which totally bites; I've reverted to the old elastic band trick. We find out the sex on October 15th. We don't care if it's a boy or a girl, seeing as how it's our first. We haven't really discussed names since we don't know the sex; let's just say if it's a boy, some arguing over the name will ensue ...

When my parents were gutting out their basement (after 14 years of using it as a storage space), they gave us my old bedroom furniture. Mind you, I got this furniture when I was 4 years old and used it until after my mission, when my parents bought me new furniture, which is beautiful and I love it and it's now in our bedroom. But this old furniture was pretty beat up. So, it sat in our garage for months. Then, BOOM!, we're having a kid and Mitch decides it's finally time to get the furniture out of our garage so our little baby can have something to store his/her toys in. (I have no doubt that this will be one spoiled baby.)
Mitch fixed up the furniture, fixed the broken drawers, gave it a fresh coat of paint, and put on new handles to replace the ridiculously outdated ones. He did a great job! Here are some before and after pics.
Before:

I have no idea how this chair got this way ... perhaps it was my brothers who liked to play with knives???
The dresser was pretty bad too. And check out those handles ...
Luckily Mitch did a great job fixing them up:
You can't really tell in the pictures, but the furniture is an almond/cream color. I love it.
The desk (I blurred out my name in case you're wondering.)
The refurbished chair. It looks so much better!
The nightstand.

I call this the "treasure chest." I used to put all of my "treasures" (i.e. favorite books, journals, etc.) in this cupboard when I was a kid. Totally nerdy, I know.
The dresser.
We decided since there's so much furniture, we'll split it up into different rooms. Besides, a little baby doesn't need a desk or a nightstand, so baby will just have the treasure chest and dresser for now. And a crib, of course, which we will eventually purchase ... Hopefully the furniture isn't too girly if we have a boy. But a baby doesn't know the difference anyways, right?
Thanks, Mitch, for fixing up the furniture. You did a great job as you always do ... Marrying a perfectionist might be frustrating at times, but it sure has it's perks!
Thanks, Mom and Dad, for donating this furniture to a good cause: your first grandkid.

2 comments:

toonefam said...

Babies dont know, nor do they care about the furniture. How neat to be using your old stuff for your new little one!! Good job Mitch, what I would give for a handy man!! :) The dresser could double as a changing table also, with a changing pad. I am so excitted for you both! Enjoy every second!!!

Chelsi Archibald said...

Wow. That is really nice stuff. I never had that nice of stuff growing up. It looks adorable. I can't wait to see your child, he or she is going to be delightful!

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...