10.21.2011

Stuff

I never know what to title my posts, especially when I'm blogging about unrelated things. Like how Layla got me in trouble last night with Daddy; while Mitch was out of town this week, I may or may not have let Layla be totally crazy in the bath tub, which she now insists on incorporating into her normal bath time routine. It stresses Mitch out and I'm pretty sure he blames me. He even said, "See what you guys start while I'm away?!" Oops. Hey, we were just having fun! Mitch and I have very different parenting strategies: basically, he's over-protective and I'm too laid back. That's why we work well together; we balance each other out. This video doesn't quite capture how truly crazy she was being last night, but you get the idea. She thinks it's hilarious when she leans back and gets her hair wet. Pretty sure we'll be signing her up for Mommy and Me Swim Lessons real soon!

Layla is still obsessed with Ernie, but every few days she switches which friend is her second favorite. Right now it's Kitty. Here's a pic of Layla sleeping in her crib with all of her friends. Silly girl. Sometimes I have to sneak some of them out because there are just too many. 

We've been sick around here. Pretty sure Layla had croup, but we didn't take her to the doctor to verify that because it's a virus and there's not really anything they can do. She slept with a humidifier, an open window, alternated Ibuprofen and Motrin, drank lots of fluids, and watched too much Sesame Street. She's pretty much better now; still coughs now and again. Another reason we didn't take her is because she has her 18 month check up today, so we figured we can check it out then. The home remedies seemed to work though. It was scary there one night; she was coughing so hard she stopped breathing, I was crying, and Mitch was so stressed. But we made it through and all is well. Mitch and I are both battling colds now, and Mitch will probably lose his voice, but at least he already gave his briefing at work. Oh, the joys of colder weather and sharing germs.

We had our Primary program last week. My Sunbeam class was pretty much hilarious. I went up to the podium with the kids to help them say their parts. I whispered the line into one child's ears, who then whispered the line into the microphone. Too funny. It was kind of a disaster, but it was alright because they're only three years old so no one seems to mind.

Mitch and I went laser tagging last weekend with some of his co-workers. Have you ever gone laser tagging with rocket scientists? It's totally unfair competition. They're way too strategic and quick-thinking for my wits. Ha, ha. I did have a lot of fun though.

This week I was able to help judge the Reflections contest again at our elementary school. I really enjoy doing that. Those kids are so creative! This year's theme was "Diversity," which seemed a little difficult for the kids, but I think they did a great job. I wish I had participated in that when I was younger.

Mitch made some yummy salsa with the peppers in our garden. It turned out great! Look at all the huge peppers he grew:

I am teaching our primary lesson on Sunday. The title of the lesson is "Music Makes Me Happy." Last night as I was preparing, I decided to bust out my clarinet and play a few tunes, thinking maybe I'd play for my class on Sunday. I haven't played that thing in years; I played clarinet in the school band for four years (grades 5 through 8) and I probably haven't picked it up since. Mitch came in the room while I was playing and said he was impressed that I could remember so much. Funny, I was upset that I could only remember how to play 10 notes. But, my primary class might just get a rendition of "Old McDonald" if they're reverent enough.

No comments:

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...