11.27.2011

Give Thanks

Like most people, I could go on and on about everything I'm thankful for: my family, Mitch's job, the Gospel, my Savior, our home, my calling, etc. I try to thank my Heavenly Father every day for the things He has blessed me with, but I still enjoy celebrating a day of thanks and eating WAY more than I should.

This year we spent Thanksgiving with my family, and it did not disappoint. Mitch and I always joke that my grandma is such an excellent cook and baker that it makes Thanksgiving seem not so special, since every meal she makes is as tasty as Thanksgiving dinner. I especially  love her homemade, made-from-scratch stuffing; it's incredible! Mitch made the mashed potatoes this year and they turned out amazing. 
Aunt Natalie made her dessert yams, as Mitch and I call them. I REALLY need to get the recipe. Can you please email that to me, Natalie? They are so yummy!
Several months ago, my mom taught Layla to put olives on her fingers and eat them off. Layla remembered this little trick and was cracking herself up throughout her whole Thanksgiving meal, which consisted of olives and red grapes. She hated everything else, naturally; she's becoming a really picky eater, which I am NOT thankful for.
Thankful for my grandma, who slaved over our feast, including the turkey, homemade rolls, and three homemade pies: traditional pumpkin, the richest chocolate pie ever, and caramel-pecan-apple pie. It was all so amazing. I love pie. Most of us had "the sampler."

Incredibly thankful for my family!
Even my little brothers who fall into a tryptphan-induced coma after dinner, ironically when it's time to help clean up.
Thankful to visit with my grandpa who came in town for the holiday. Also thankful that he took Layla to spend the night at my parents, which meant Mitch and I got to PAR-TAY while she was gone. We lived it up like any good Mormons would and hit up the local Starbucks for some caramel apple ciders. We also did some shopping and went out to eat. Such a nice little break! Thanks, Mom and Dad! 
Over the weekend we also visited with Mitch's family, did some more shopping, and went to breakfast with my family. Too much eating, I tell ya! After all the feasting was over, we picked out our first live Christmas tree from a local tree lot! I was so excited! I wanted a skinny tree to help alleviate our problems with the cat climbing in the tree. Guess what? It worked! He just lays under it now and it still looks as pretty as it did the first day!

When my work was slow last month, I decided I would make us all some new stockings. Well, I only ever made one and then work picked back up and I just lost interest. So I decided to keep the one and use it as Harvey's stocking; his old one was red and said "good kitty" on it, which he is not a good kitty ALL of the time, and the red was throwing off my blue and silver theme.

Can you guess which one I made?
It's the 3rd from the left, or 2nd from the right. I really love how it turned out. You can't see it well in the picture, but there are three glittery snowflakes on there. Maybe a little feminine for Harvey, but he's a cat for pete's sake! He shouldn't even have a stocking in my opinion, but Mitch feels otherwise. So there you are, Harvey. Be grateful that we actually bought you something to go in it. Ha, ha.

I am also thankful for my parents. They rock. And Mitch's family because they raised him to be such a great husband and father. And Mitch. Seriously, I couldn't ask for a nicer, kinder, smarter, harder-working husband. And of course, Layla, who makes me laugh every.single.day, gives me a whole new perspective on life, and makes me want to be a better person.

Thankful for my new calling in the primary. I taught today for my first time. I was really nervous, and it didn't go perfectly, but I can honestly say that I felt the Spirit as I testified to the children. I hope they felt it too and can know of Heavenly Father's love for them.

Most of all, I am thankful to know that Heavenly Father loves me, and for the peace and self-confidence that brings me. I center my life and all of my decisions around the knowledge I have of the Gospel, and I have been blessed. Life isn't perfect, but it is easier because of my beliefs, and I'm thankful for that.

No comments:

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...