8.26.2012

50

My mom turned 50 last week and we threw her a surprise birthday party. I'm so glad it's over so I can be done telling little white lies! I have been quite stressed and worried that she was going to find out about it— I made a stupid mistake and put my parents' address as the return address on the envelopes, since this is where we're currently living, and one invite was returned. Of course that happened to be the ONE day my mom actually checked the mail ... she asked me what I had mailed to my cousin ... I ho-hummed and didn't really answer her, but thought the rest of the time that she must have guessed what was going on.
But, judging by her reaction when she walked in the room, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say she had no clue. And, just in case she wasn't embarrassed enough at the party with all the pictures of her during her youth that we hung around the room, I will also include this video of the surprise:
She was so shocked, I'm sure especially to see people from out of town. Jordan and Tenley, Grandpa Kermit, Kent, Dale and Jolene, and Judi and Sam all came in from out of town to surprise her at the party. (Well, she actually knew Kent was here ... he was part of our plan to get her to the party, but she was shocked to see everyone else!) We had celebrated her birthday earlier in the week, like normal, so I'm sure she was extra surprised that we threw her a party too.
cutest.baby.picture.ever. (sorry this pic is blurry!)
It was quite the ordeal to get her to the church. My parents, grandma, and Kent went to dinner, but they got done too early and had to stall for quite a while. At one point, Kent had my mom looking at clouds so she wouldn't see our cars in the parking lot. Ha, ha. Thankfully it all worked out. Sorry if I stressed you out, Dad, Kent, or Grandma, over having to stall for so long!

I made a slideshow of pics of my mom from her birth to present, including music from the decade she was born. We hung balloons on the wall in the shape of the number 50. Her yearbooks were displayed on the table. We had a dessert bar. I made brownies and cupcakes, Grandma Ruth made lemon bars, and Natalie and Tenley made rice krispie treats. My in-laws made their famous home-made Oreo cookies (seriously to die for!).

Grandma Ruth made the beautiful table runners.

We hung pictures of my mom everywhere. Actually, this was my uncle's job and he made it look awesome with his artistic skills. There were at least 100 pictures hung around the room.

I started planning this party months ago. My Grandma Ruth and Natalie were a HUGE help; I couldn't have done it without them! And thanks to my brothers and SILs, Grandma Ruth, Kent, and Judi and Sam for helping us set everything up at the church. It all turned out better than I imagined and I was so pleased with it.

We held the party in the gym of our church, which proved very beneficial because the little kids were entertained with the balls and other games we brought.

Even Brock and Jordan and their wives had a mad dodgeball tournament that sounded like it may have resulted in some welts. It was hilarious.
Thought I should include this pic of Jordan hitting Brock since it's usually the other way around.
It was so sweet of everyone to come and I know my mom really appreciated it. I hope she knows how much she is loved! She has decided to go to college and earn a business degree, which will be very helpful in her current career. She has her first class tomorrow night and I know she is going to rock it. I am so proud of and happy for her decision to return to school; I know she will not regret it! Happy Birthday, Mom, we love you!!!

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom! From the looks of it, the party turned out beautiful!

Team Beardshall said...

Your mom is SO beautiful.....and good looks run in the family because Layla (and yourself there) are gorgeous as well! What a fun party, you got to go big for the big 50!

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...