4.24.2013

Update

I have to vent my frustrations. Layla is three going on 13. Super grumpy at times. Slams her door and everything. Where did this come from?!? Some days she's an angel and some days, which are becoming more frequent, I feel like I argue with and threaten her all day long. She didn't get to go play at Oakley's house last week because she was throwing a complete tantrum, complete with throwing things around her room. I told Mitch she turned into the Incredible Hulk. I felt like the meanest mom ever for cancelling her play date, but I stuck my ground. This was probably more of a punishment to me since instead of having her play at Oakley's house, I had to take her to my dr appt with me. And I felt bad for cancelling on Oakley. It was an awful day. Layla cried a lot and I cried too. I hate being a "mean mom" but I don't want to be a pushover either.

Part of me keeps racking my brain, wondering what I'm doing wrong or what I can do differently to avoid her dramatic tantrums and get her to listen and obey to what I say. The other part of me keeps reminding myself that she's three and it's totally normal for kids to go through this stage. And yet another part of me wants to pull my hair out and scream, but that's probably just the pregnant/hormonal part of me. Ha, ha.

Along with this whole new tantrum phase comes days where she just gives up on using the potty. Most days she's fine, but for the last two weeks she's had one day a week where she doesn't even try. Accidents all day long. Then the very next day she's fine again. Totally blows my mind. And makes me want to cry. (Again, pregnant hormonal lady.)

On to more happy things. Mitch is almost done with school for this semester and then he's taking the summer off! Hip Hip Hooray! I'm sure he's more excited than me; he is so busy between work and school. I don't know how he does it. But I am so excited to have more time with him!

Random story, but funny: last week Mitch was out of town. On one of his nightly phone calls to Layla she ended the conversation with, "I can't talk right now because I just run out of energy." Where does she learn this stuff?

I'm having mixed emotions about a second child. Layla is my little buddy and I love spending my days with her (tantrums and all). Of course, I know I will have enough love in my heart for two kids, I know that Layla will love him, etc., but it is a change and I worry about having enough one-on-one time with Layla. I'm going to miss having it be just me and my little buddy. But I'm sure we'll figure things out and I'll look back and realize it's even better when our new little buddy joins us. The more the merrier, right?

I'm almost all the way ready to have Marcus come. Mitch's parents were so kind and bought us a few of the things we still needed: bibs, wipes, crib sheets, and a boppy cover. I was thankful for that. A few less things for me to worry about. Now I just need to pack my hospital bag, wash his clothes, and get a few last minute things. I want to be all the way ready by the end of the month so that I don't have to worry about it the last month of pregnancy. Then I can spend the last month or so soaking up my time with only one child instead of worrying about preparing for the next one. I'm getting excited!

Today Layla was watching a show and they asked, "What is your favorite thing to do?" Layla didn't know I was listening, but I heard her answer, "Play with my mamma." Awww, see what I mean? She's totally my buddy, even on her grumpiest of days.

In other news, we started landscaping! We found a guy who agreed to install our sprinkler system, dig the hole for the trampoline, and move some rocks around the yard for a great deal! They should be finished by the end of this week. I think it took A LOT of pressure off Mitch since he doesn't have to do it all himself now. After they are done there will still be work to do though. Mitch will need to build a retaining wall for the trampoline, then set up the trampoline, run drip irrigation to the flower beds, and plant the seed. We decided on seed over sod mainly because it is drastically less expensive and also because it is supposed to produce a really nice lawn. After all that we just have to wait for the grass to grow. I'm so excited to have a yard! We may wait a while to plant bushes and trees. Partly because we have no idea what kind we want to plant yet and partly because we are trying to stick to a budget and pay off the baby's hospital bills before we spend too much more on landscaping. So we'll see what else we decide to do with the yard when we reach that point. But I am excited that the whole landscaping process has been started.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

Julia M. said...

Yep, tantrums are TOTALLY normal.
I had that same reluctance for a minute before #2 joined us. Honestly, though, 2 is way more fun than 1. Undeniably! I hope everything goes well for you!

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...