- I did something for her, I can't remember what, but she told Mitch about it. Mitch responded with, "Oh, isn't Mama so nice?" Layla said, "Yeah, but sometimes Mama isn't nice." We both laughed and then asked her why I'm not nice sometimes and she said, "When I get mad, sometimes that makes Mama mad and that's not nice."
- I had to put Layla in time out recently. She was crying in her room and when I went in to check on her she said, "I just want you to be a nice girl!" (So I guess that's why she made the previous comment. Because I'm mean when I punish her. Hey, mean moms are the best moms, right?)
- Quite often when Layla gets into trouble we take away something, either the object she's playing with or the privilege to do something fun like play on the computer or watch a movie. She can earn it back if she listens and does what we ask. The other day I was nursing Marcus and was honestly tired of hearing Layla say, "Mom, look at this! Mom, watch me!" And I know so many people say that some day I'll miss that, and I get what they're trying to say, but at this stage in my life there are so many days when I just need a break from hearing my name 1,000 times a day. Anyways, I told her that I wasn't going to talk for a few minutes and that I just wanted to be quiet and rest. (If I call this "The Quiet Game" she gets mad and says she's not going to play) Well, that ticked her off and she told met hat I HAD to talk to her. I didn't respond and so she brought me the little tray of fake desserts she has from the kitchen set. She said, with a completely straight face, "Now I have to take your desserts away because you won't listen to me. You lost your privilege." Of course I burst out laughing upon hearing my daughter act like myself and then I said to her, "See, doesn't it make you upset when people don't listen and do as you ask?" She immediately lit up and said, "Oh! You're talking to me now. You earned them back! Good job, Mama!" Oh.my.goodness. Who's the parent in this relationship? Also, her facial expression was SO hilarious while she was scolding me. I really need to look in a mirror next time I'm scolding her because I must look the same way. Ha, ha!
- On the other end of the scale, Layla confessed her love for me this week in an unusual way. Mitch was out of town for work all week. This was his first time going out of town since before Marcus was born, so she was taking it really hard. She missed him ... a lot! One day while he was gone my grandma came to babysit. Before she got here I told Layla I would be gone for a little bit and she started sobbing hysterically. The only words she could get out between her sobs were, "But I just ... really, really love you .... a lot of times!" (She was trying to say that she loves me a lot.) I asked her if she was sad because Daddy was gone and now I was leaving too and when I said that she yelled, "Yeeeesss!" and melted onto the floor at my feet while sobbing uncontrollably. It was seriously one of the saddest moments in my parenting life. Long story short, she cried when my grandma got here, clung to my leg, and had to be distracted with fruit snacks that grandma had brought her as a surprise. Poor girl. But at least I know she loves her mommy and daddy. And she did have a lot of fun with GG and Robbie.
- Sometimes I think it's weird that Marcus can't talk to me. I know he's just a baby, but I guess Layla talks nonstop so I just expect him to jabber too. He does give the sweetest smiles any time you even look in his direction. It's like he already knows he has to share the attention with his sister, so if you do look his way he is ready to smile and coo at you. I know I'm biased, but he is seriously so handsome. Mitch and I decided that Marcus is made of circles: his perfectly round head, his round chubby cheeks, his round chin, his big round eyes, and his little round belly. When he is hungry he will track me down with his eyes from across the room, like a shark hunting a seal. If I don't respond soon enough his bottom lip will form into the perfect frown and then curl under. He seriously has the best sad face and sometimes I let him get upset just to see it. It's that cute. (I still need to get a picture of it!) If I haven't started feeding him by that point, which is only a matter of a few seconds, then he starts screaming. There's no real warm up or little whimpers. He just usually goes from quiet to a full-on wail. When I do start nursing him he usually lets out three or four more cries just to get his point across. It's pretty funny.
I sure do love my kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment