Despite me telling them--nay, begging them--to stop growing, the kids just keep getting older. Layla turned 11 this month and she's delighted to be a tweenager. Marcus will turn 8 next month and has chosen to be baptized. We bought him a suit and everything (oh my goodness, that boy in a suit makes my mama heart so happy!).
I wish I had more free time to update this blog regularly. But the occasional update is nice too because I feel freer to just type what is currently on my mind and in my heart. Lately, that's the sunny, warm weather we're having amidst the windstorms and rain. We bought a boat (not sure if that's already been mentioned or not) and we're itching to get it out on the lake! Mitch reminds me of a pregnant woman who's nesting as he gathers stuff and organizes it all in the various storage places around the boat. It's pretty funny and also I'm grateful he's doing it because I don't have time. Just another month or so for the weather to warm up and we'll be boating!
My hip pain was so bad a couple of months ago, I actually scheduled a full hip replacement. I had two different orthopedic surgeons from two different hospitals tell me it was the only option to get rid of my pain. I saw a third surgeon at a third hospital who told me otherwise. Actually, I met with his PA who happened to be an elder I served with in the MTC and haven't seen since. I don't know if it was us serving together as missionaries or if he tells all his patients this, but he told me about a new type of therapy called Positional Release Therapy. It has saved me from surgery! Long story short, after just two treatments I felt so much better that I cancelled my surgery. I learned that my right leg is 1/2" shorter than my left and had custom orthotics made. Wow, what a difference! I might have to wear ugly shoes that definitely throw off my cute outfits, but I'll take no pain over fashion any day. I still haven't been able to exercise much. I need to wear the orthotics for awhile and build my strength back up slowly before I start really exercising again. I am counting down the days!
Mitch is as busy as ever at work. Now that he's done with school, he has time after work to focus on other things. He skied several black diamond runs this year, which was a goal he had. I already mentioned the boat, and he's also focusing on finishing the basement. Our builder is doing most of the work, but Mitch has been busy planning it, doing the electrical, and planning out the theater room. I'm glad he finally has free time to do things that interest him.
Layla is thriving lately. She has found a great friend group (Maggie, Megan, Brooklyn, Emma) and it's fun to drop her off at school and watch her friends run up to her, so excited to see each other after a night apart. They're at a fun age. Layla had a birthday party and we rented out a movie theater. There were a lot of girls there, giggling and carrying on. Oh to be 11 again.
Layla also started dance this year and has loved it. She definitely loves it more than I thought she would. She dances around the house and is quite graceful. The owner of the studio and all the teachers all hold dance degrees from BYU, so it makes me happy that she's learning from talented teachers. Layla wants to continue in dance next year. I'm excited and interested to see where this new passion takes her!
Marcus is a purple belt now in karate. He is the youngest student in his karate class (by far) and is doing really well, though Marcus never really thinks he is doing well. But I hope and pray every day that he will start to see that in himself. He also started baseball this month. It is for 2nd and 3rd graders, so again, he's the youngest, by far. It's also machine pitch. I'm not sure he loves it, yet, but I'm hopeful he'll give it more time and that we'll keep practicing.
I was offered a full-time position as a school counselor next year at my same school. I feel blessed to have that position, especially as there is a hiring freeze for school counselors in our district right now. I adore the other counselors and the administration. Being a school counselor is one of the hardest and most rewarding thing I've ever done (motherhood being at the top of the list and a mission being on the list as well). But I truly love it and can't imagine doing anything else.
What else? I only have one semester left of classes, hallelujah! I am so ready to have my Tuesday nights back!
Our basement should be done by the time school starts in the fall. That's exciting!
We will soon have neighbors to the south of us. They dug a hole for their home, so it's only a matter of time. They are a nice family and they have young kids, so it will be fun to have more kids here.
I am still the primary secretary and Mitch is the ward mission leader. I would normally be ready to get released soon, but since we haven't had primary with COVID, I think I'll have this calling for a while, haha. It's been an interesting year.
As I said, Marcus has chosen to be baptized. We are still planning the actual baptism, but I am happy for him. He asks the deepest, spiritual questions and his wheels are always turning. His insights during family scriptures astounds me sometimes. He'll be quite the missionary someday.
Welp, gotta go pick Layla up from dance.
No comments:
Post a Comment