9.23.2008

Book Report

I just finished God Wants a Powerful People by Sheri Dew. It was great; a good review of the basic Gospel principles. I learned a lot of interesting facts about Church history. Overall, I felt like she was saying "God gives us all of the tools necessary to return to him: prayer, scripture, prophets, the priesthood, covenants, the restoration, etc. These tools endow us with power. This power is especially useful against Satan, who's power is very real and everywhere in our world today (via the media, Hollywood, man's opinion, man's expectations, etc.). We can use this power to help others and thus return to live with God." Of course Sheri said it in a much more compelling and entertaining way than I just did. When I was in the MTC for 3 months, which is WAY too long to eat only MTC food, I heard Sheri Dew speak at least 3 times. I don't think she realized it, but she shared the same stories all 3 times. I was expecting this book to have those same stories, but was pleasantly surprised to find new, witty and spiritual analogies, stories, and examples. I highly recommend this book. A great reminder of our purpose here on earth and all of the help we can recieve, if we seek it, to return to live with God again.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

It sounds like a very uplifting book. I will always trust your book advice!!

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...