Last night Mitch and I went to the Hobby Lobby to look at knobs for some furniture Mitch is fixing up. We were walking around, looking for the knobs, when Mitch purposely made us detour down the car model aisle. If you know Mitch, you know how much he loves cars. He restored a 1966 Chevy Monza Corvair (hope I got that right) when he was in high school. It's pretty sweet. For Christmas last year I gave Mitch a model car that he painted and put together. He had a good time doing it. So, he pulls me onto this aisle at the Hobby Lobby and I kinda rolled my eyes, but chuckled. We're looking at the car models and Mitch says, very seriously in his whiney voice, "But I want a real one." Ha,ha! I had a good laugh about that. I guess that's the difference between boys and men: boys are satisfied with toy model cars, men just want the real ones. I told Mitch he can have two cars at a time, pretty fair right? Currently, he has an '04 Subaru WRX STi and the '66 Corvair. I think he's fine on cars for a little while. I'd love to get him his dream car. The first time I have an extra $80K I'll get it for him. Silly Mitch. I love him and his car addiction though! I really would buy him his dream car if I could!!!
Also, I mentioned before how much I loved President Uchtdorf's talk from the Relief Society Broadcast a few weeks ago. The church put the talk on their website, so here's the link for it. I really think all women should read this talk, it's great.
http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,285-1-54-31,00.html
I'm still studying both candidates for the presidential election. I'm hoping to get out of class in time tonight to watch the debate. I haven't had very good feedback on my support for Obama. That's okay, I'm not supporting him for anyone else but myself. I do have to write down my thoughts on this though: (here's where my stubborn attitude shows through) I am looking at both sides of every issue, and yet people are telling me I'm wrong without considering both sides themselves. I think we should all check out Obama's and McCain's websites and listen to the debates to see what both candidates are all about before deciding who would be best. I am tired "goody-goody" Mormons automatically voting Republican because they think that's what the Church would have them do. Didn't anyone go to sacrament meeting a few weeks ago when the letter from the First Presidency was read over the pulpit that told members to study all parties, make an educated decision, and pray to God for understanding on whom you should vote for? I think this is good advice for every American, whether they're Mormon or friends of other faiths ("Foofs" as Mitch calls them).The letter did not say, "Vote Republican because the church tends to lean towards Republican's views on many moral issues." That was not said nor implied. I think we should all heed the great advice from the leaders of the church: let's study both parties and pray about it before we decide.
http://www.barackobama.com/index.php http://www.johnmccain.com/
I want people to make educated, thought-out, researched decisions. If people study this out, pray about it, and vote for McCain, great! At least they made an educated decision for themselves. I don't think people should vote one way because their mom and dad follow that party or because they heard so-and-so's opinion so that's automatically their opinion too. I want everyone to make an educated decision for themselves.
4 comments:
I actually think most people are making an educated decision this time around. I don't think most mormons vote for republicans because that is what they "think the church would want them to do." I think a lot of people vote republican because they agree with that candidate.
Personally I think our country is in for a rough four years no matter the choice, although I believe McCain is the lesser of two evils. Just my opinion.
Way to research both sides Lacey! Don't be discouraged though, I support your decision for Obama. I really wish McCain would have been voted President back in 2000 rather than W and we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place! I really have always liked McCain and think he is an experienced guy, but he has been pulling some wacked out stuff, changing the things that most people love about him to get elected. Needless to say the last 8 years the Republicans had their chance. I think the Dems can try for four years and see how it goes. If it gets any worse than it already is I'd be really shocked.
I think that another fundamental reason why many Latter-day Saints choose the Republican side besides moral issues is freedom. Freedom of choice and property. Many times (not all) Democrats want more and more regulation and they want to define how we live our lives. Indeed they often propose taxes and solutions that often times allows people to think, oh, the government will and should take care of me. That is where we are different. We are a people that believe in work and are against being idle. We are to do our part. Not only that we are a people of choice and WE should decide where we spend our money and what we need, not the government. It was freedom in the first place that even allowed our church to be restored.
I my self have been looking very deeply into both sides and I have to say I honestly think that McCain has kinda made a fool out of him self and Palin hasnt helped the issue either! I really think I have to go with Obama on this. He makes more scense and has better rosolutions for what is going on in the world right now! He seems to know more of what he is doing not to mention he has many more years left in him than McCain, I think if you are voting for McCain you are voting for Palin to be the President. I truley think it would be a tragedy to see someone like Palin over our country! Again just my opinion! Thanks again for sharing yours!
Post a Comment