"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontoire were, as well as if a Mannor of the friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminshes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whome the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. ~JOHN DONNE
Here's one of my favorite quotes from the British Renessiance time period. (Yes, I know I'm an English nerd. I can't help it.) I included it in this post because I just started reading For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway. He was greatly influenced by John Donne and included this quote at the beginning of For Whom the Bell Tolls. I love, love, LOVE Hemingway's writing style. I've read a few of his other classics: A Farewell to Arms, The Sun Also Rises, and The Old Man and the Sea and I loved them all. Some were depressing, but the way he writes never ceases to impress me. So here's to my newest book adventure! (And good riddance to Sherlock Holmes! I did not enjoy that book, but I finished it.)
11.20.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2024 Wrap Up
Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...
-
No, I did not do anything scandalous at the Keith Urban concert last night, although I'm sure many other women did. For Mother's Day...
-
"Come on down and join the winning team, because here at Globo Gym we're better than you, and we know it!" Ha,ha, remember tha...
-
Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...
1 comment:
I love books. They are so great. I too had a hard time getting into Sherlock Holmes. Prof. Vause has like a huge thing for him and I tried my best, but to no avail.
Post a Comment