1.12.2009

For Whom the Bell Tolls

I just finished reading it and I loved it. The book is written in run-on sentences with some dialogue in between that tells grotesque, detailed stories about the war that made me tell Mitch, "I don't want any of our kids to ever join the armed forces, even if I think it's a very noble and selfless thing to do." I couldn't shake the sad feeling of despair the book leaves the reader with and this feeling was only heightened when we saw "Valkyrie" with our friends Mike and Chelsi. I liked the movie. Very well done. But it brought back all those feelings that Hemingway left me with and I had to confront them again, fighting back tears, thinking about my grandpa in WWII, wondering about the soldiers in Iraq, and thinking how evil people are, how sick war is. Hemingway is a very talented author, in my opinion he's one of the best; he will show you how a soldier slowly goes crazy and make you want to read more, depsite its depressing nature.

1 comment:

Chelsi Archibald said...

Well, as crazy as us English majors are, we like to read depressing novels because it adds to our list of novels read. So even though this post was slightly depressing, I'm still going to read the book and check it off my list. Well done!

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...