10.29.2011

Sick of Being Sick

Layla is finally over her cold, or croup, or whatever it was. Mitch and I have been battling colds for almost two weeks now. Lame. On Thursday morning I decided to take a Mucinex to alleviate some of my symptoms. Bad idea. Mind you, I only took one pill, but it seemed like I had overdosed. I think it made me high. I've never been high, so I don't really know for sure, but I read that some people OD on cold medicine to get high. I repeat, I only took one pill, I did not OD. But there was something wrong with me for sure. Long story short, Mitch came home from work, but had to go back so my brother, Jordan, came up to watch Layla. He took her home with him and she had a sleep over with Mammy and Bopa Miles. The medicine finally got out of my system and I was back to having just a cold.

Friday night Mitch had the opportunity to go scuba diving! His assistant scout master was kind enough to invite Mitch along, all expenses paid. He did a little training class, put on his gear, and away he went. Now, it was just in a swimming pool, but Mitch said it was really fun and he'd like to try it some more. I suggested we get certified before we go to Hawaii next year ...


While Mitch was scuba diving, I decided that he and I should run in the local 5K the next morning. I was sick of being sick and needed to get my butt of the couch. I made babysitting arrangements and fell asleep without remembering to mention this to Mitch. So this morning my alarm went off at seven, I rolled over and told Mitch that I found a sitter and we'd be running the race in two hours. Ha, ha. Good thing he's such a good sport!

The race was awesome. Not only did I place 3rd overall for all the females, but I won first place for the females in my age division (ages 18-29)! Wahoo! My time was 28:12. Now, I fully realize that there are many people much faster than me who would have blown my time out of the water, but they didn't show up. Ha, ha. I got some pretty sweet gift cards and a medal. I was sprinting at the end to make sure I beat the girl behind me, and I almost threw up after because my lungs are still so full of mucus from being sick. Ha, ha. It was worth it though. I never knew I was so competitive. Mitch got second place for his age group, he ran in 24:58. (The guy who won his age group ran it in just over 18 minutes. What?! Crazy fast!) It was fun; I'm really glad we did it. Plus, Layla had a blast with her sitter and cried when she left. 

2 comments:

melynda said...

that is so awesome, its fun to place. now you are going to be competitive all the time!! its hard not to be!

Nicole and Kevin said...

Glad you are feeling a little bit better. AWESOME job in your race!!! That is so cool you took first (I am just going to call it first overall :)!

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...