6.28.2012

Regression

I am LOVING the things Layla is saying lately and I love watching her use her little imagination while we play. She's such a good little mommy to all her stuffed animals, whom she refers to collectively as "my friends." For the past few days she keeps complimenting me profusely, saying that "Mamma's so cute!" and "Mamma's hair is soooo pretty!" and  "Ohhh, Mamma's a cutie!" which totally cracks me up (and makes me wonder if she's being sincere or just trying to use flattery for self-gain. Ha, ha.). It is sweet though.

But I'm frustrated lately. Just when I post about Layla being potty trained, she decides to stop caring about whether or not she pees her pants. Seriously, the last two days she has had several "accidents"  (I use quotations because I know that she knows perfectly well what she is doing). How did we go from several days in a row with zero accidents, and Layla telling me when she needs to go, to today, where we had so many accidents and she couldn't have cared less if her pants were wet or not??? Ahhh! I don't get it! I want to pull my hair out! I know she grasps the concept, she meets all the criteria on every "how to tell if your kid is ready to potty train list" ... but she just stopped caring. Just like that. Like the last two weeks were all for naught. Frustration!!!!!

I read online that many kids go through a "regression" phase when they're potty training. It's their way of processing new skills, blah, blah, blah. Some folks advise to just keep going, while others advise to take a break.

We're taking a break, as of 6 pm tonight. Diapers are back on. (I actually need to go buy more.) We will start again when she starts showing more interest.

The irony of it all is that while we were reading books before bedtime tonight, Layla told me she needed to go on the potty. What?!? I've been wanting her to tell me that all day! I'm seriously at a loss ... so we're just going to take a break for a few days and go from there.

Here's a random video of Layla singing the alphabet. She has it down almost perfectly, forgets L and M. She finally learned to sing the ending perfectly too ("now I know my abcs, next time won't you sing with me"), but I stopped filming before she got to that part. I LOVE her facial expressions towards the end.
I must say, I am so thankful for my mom, who gave me a break tonight (Mitch was at work) and watched Layla for a bit. I'm sure she could tell I was frazzled. Thanks, Mom! You're a lifesaver!

No comments:

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...