6.21.2012

June

Let it go down in history that June of 2012 is the month Layla became potty trained. Hip, hip, hooray!

One day last week she woke up and decided that she would not, under any circumstances, wear a diaper. She wanted to be butt-naked. I almost let her have her way (she has the cutest little bum bum), but decided instead to forge into the valley of potty training and force her into some Dora panties.
She might be angry at me for posting this pic when she's older ...
Well, it's been over one week now and I'd like to say that she's pretty much potty trained. She still wears a diaper at nap time and bedtime, though I'm thinking of nixing the nap time diaper. We've had a few days with zero accidents, and she is now telling me when she needs to go. I do still remind her throughout the day, especially when she's too distracted to remember herself, but overall I think she's got it down. We've even ventured out on a few outings (close to home) and been successful at "keeping Dora dry."

I'm always telling her, "keep Dora dry" and "don't get Dora wet." The first few times she had an accident I'd say, "Oh no! You got Dora wet!" Then we got to the point where if she had an accident, Layla would say, "Poor Dora," like she didn't even care that she peed her pants. It was really frustrating. Now she says things like, "Don't pee pee on Dora. Keep her dry," and "No pee pee in the princess bubbles (bubble bath). Pee pee in the potty!" It's pretty funny. At least she understands now.

Yesterday I felt like we went backwards; she had three accidents! But, to be honest, I think she didn't feel great. Pretty sure she's getting her last two molars in. She has, however, totally redeemed herself today. Not one accident so far, telling me when she needs to go. 

We put away her little princess potty and are just using the seat adapter on the big potty, or "Mamma and Daddy's potty" as she calls it. I hope this is the end of changing diapers for us (until our next one comes along, that is)! I'm so proud of my little Buggie! I feel like she's really grown up a lot the past few weeks - talking better, using the potty, understanding more, etc. While she does throw the occasional 2 year old tantrum (and she can scream loud! let me tell you), she is super, super sweet.  

While potty training, I've had lots of time to read, since we've mostly stuck close to home. I have recently read Treasure Island by Rober Louis Stevenson and Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. Loved them both. I have never read a novel by either author, and I was particularly keen on Dickens' writing style. No wonder he is one of the greatest authors to ever grace this earth.


We went to Quick Wits the other weekend. It's a comedy club that is all improv. It was hilarious! My good friend Ally is dating one of the comedians there and we were able to sit by her. She was even kind enough to give us two free tickets, which was really nice of her. Jimmy and Karen joined us and we had a great time. We need to go again! Although, I don't know that Jimmy and Karen will ever hang out with us again after the tantrum that Layla threw that night! Whew! She did NOT want to go to bed and I thought we were going to miss the show. Such a little stinker. We probably helped them decide that they never want to have kids, but I hope they know that it really is worth it. Really, there's nothing better than being a parent. We're all just waiting for them to get married first. :)


Our new home is coming along. Should be framing this week or next. Mitch was out of town all week, so he didn't go by after work to check on it and I'm too lazy to drive up there. Ha, ha. We're finally done making all the decisions regarding appliances, upgrades, colors, exterior, etc. I didn't know we were so picky until now! I love that we get to decide every little thing, though it is overwhelming at times. I am so excited to see it all put together!

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Congratulations Layla! I'm serious when I say that you need to train Parker for me now :).

Karen said...

First of all, way to go Layla! and two, it wasn't even that bad! We were both super impressed with yours and Mitch's patience. You guys rock!

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...