2.28.2013

Preschool

Recently I noticed comments on Facebook regarding people signing their kids up for preschool this fall. Totally surprised me, I mean, preschool doesn't start until the fall, are people really signing up in February?

The answer is yes and the preschools around here fill up fast!

I panicked. Didn't sleep that night. Called around first thing the next morning to check prices, curriculum, and reviews. Found a cheap one that I knew would be great (I know the lady) and got the last spot thanks to someone cancelling. I felt really good about it.

But then I started thinking ... Layla already knows everything they're going to teach her as far as the education piece goes. She'll probably be bored with that part. But she still needs the social interaction and to learn to follow instructions from a teacher, among other things (like sitting still in a chair for an extended period of time, etc.).

So, Mitch and I talked a lot about it, got a lot of opinions and insights from other parents and educators, and ultimately decided not to put her in preschool this year. Instead we are going to do other activities, such as swimming; tumbling; soccer; etc., where she can still get social interaction and learn to follow instructions from a "teacher."

Next year we will definitely do preschool though so that kindergarten isn't a complete shock when she has to go sit at a desk for longer than she ever has in her whole life. (Whew, maybe I should go back to school with all these run-on sentences!)

We feel good about our decision. Knowing the way Layla is, we think this is best for her. Not saying I'll necessarily do it with my next kid, depends on what his personality is like, but for Layla I think this will be great. I can totally see her being the class clown/social butterfly because she's too bored with the curriculum  so I think one year of preschool will be plenty. And in the mean time I get to keep my little buggy at home with me where I can smother her in kisses every day.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

That's the route we're going, just activities for this coming year and then one year of preschool. I'm sure Layla will be fine with one year. Speaking from the teacher perspective, I really feel that parents know best.

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...