5.13.2013

Celebrations

Mitch and I just celebrated our 6 year anniversary. Wow, time sure does fly when you're having fun! I can honestly say the last 6 years have been the best of my whole life and I made the best decision of my life when I decided to marry Mitch. He is the perfect match for me and makes me so happy.

We kept it really low-key this year, seeing as how I'm 9 months pregnant and all. I gave Mitch a bag of Kit Kats (one of his faves) and a little love letter I wrote. Awww, cute. Mitch gave me some pretty yellow flowers and a package of Double-Stuf Oreos (he totally knows the way to my heart). Layla spent the night at mi padres and Mitch and I had a nice relaxing time eating out and going to see a movie (Iron Man 3, which we loved). It was hard for me to sit through the whole movie, but we got a back row, aisle seat for me so I could stand up as often as I needed. It was worth it though because I have been so excited to see that movie and it did not disappoint. 

The next day I slept in, but Mitch got up pretty early since our landscaper dude was coming over. Thankfully he actually showed up and did a lot of the work, but he still needs to come back and finish. Hopefully soon. I was able to run a bunch of errands and even treated myself to a pedicure, which made my aching feet feel so much better! Mitch spent the whole day out in the yard, mostly starting the foundation wall in the giant hole we had dug for the trampoline. I'll have to take a picture, it's huge! Also, Mitch has almost finished the laundry room. The stands for the washer and dryer are in and look awesome. Now he's just going to add some crown molding and handles on the cabinet. Once it's done I'll take a pic and post it here. I love having such a handy hubby!

It was also Mother's Day this weekend. My family drove up here to celebrate on Saturday, which was so nice because car rides are so uncomfortable for me right now. We went to dinner at Rooster's and then came back to our house to open a few gifts afterwards. It was a nice celebration. I am so thankful for my mom. She seriously does SO much for me and my little family. She is always volunteering to help us out and always looking for ways to serve us. Sometimes I feel like I ask too much of my parents: we're always borrowing things from them, they're always running errands for us, giving us things, we lived in their basement for months on end while building our house, and I know they'd drop anything, anytime to help us out. My mom is a great example of looking for ways to serve others and asking how she can help. Also, she's super fun to hang out with and she has great fashion sense. :) I love you, Mom!

On Sunday, the actual Mother's Day, I woke up early to attend our old ward to hear two girls speak, whom I taught in Sunday School and are now leaving to serve LDS missions. Hayley is going to London, England and Shawna is going to Washington D.C. I am so happy for them both and know that this decision will impact their lives for the better. They both gave wonderful talks about prophets and apostles. Afterwards I found them both and wished them good luck. Shawna teared up a little and told me that my stories and testimony of serving a mission that I shared with my Sunday School class played a big role on her decision to serve a mission. Of course that made me tear up and so thankful, once again, that I chose to serve a mission. It has only blessed my life and I know it has blessed the lives of others as well.

Back to Mother's Day. Mitch made me a yummy breakfast of french toast, and he and Layla gave me some beautiful flowers and a gift card to a spa that I am looking forward to using. Oh, also when Layla slept over at my parents', my mom helped her make me a little gift. It's a paper heart with tissue paper squares glued all over it (remember doing that as a kid?) and a pic of Layla. It's super cute. I love it because you can totally tell which parts Layla did and which parts my mom did. 

After the farewell I came home and we went to visit Mitch's grandma who lives pretty close to us. It was nice to see her and give her a little flower. Then we came home, shoved some food in our mouths and headed off to church. They had the men substitute for the women so we could all attend Relief Society. That was nice and they also gave all the mothers a little pot of flowers. Mine are purple and I love them. After church Mitch's family came over and brought dinner. It always tastes better when you don't have to cook it yourself! It was nice to visit with them as well and especially not to have to drive far with my pregnant body, so I was thankful they came here. 

And, of course, Mother's Day leads me to ponder and give thanks for my opportunity to be a mom. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Mitch told me, several times, thanks for all I do as a wife and a mother, and I told him thanks because honestly, I couldn't have my full-time job as a mommy if it wasn't for his ability to work hard to provide for us. Every day of my "job" brings challenges, but it also brings lots of laughter, hugs, kisses, and love. My little family means the world to me and I can't wait for Marcus to join us and to become a mom of two kids (which I'm sure will be crazy at times, but good crazy). 

My favorite quote about motherhood was said in last General Conference by Elder Boyd K. Packer, "There are few things more powerful than the faithful prayers of a righteous mother." I have prayed so many prayers for help in my role as a mother. Because let's face it, I have no idea what I'm doing. I have received answers, guidance, and patience that I know have come from a loving Heavenly Father. And not to say that every day is easy or perfect, far from it in fact, but I can say that I know I have help from above when I need it the most. I couldn't do this without His guidance and I am thankful to know that He hears me and loves my children even more perfectly than I do. I am so thankful for my opportunities to be a wife and a mother!

No comments:

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...