7.14.2014

Ragnar and Other Fun Stuff

This poor blog. I keep telling myself that I should blog every Sunday, but that obviously doesn't happen. The good news is that means that we're keeping busy with lots of fun things! (And also that I usually prefer a Sunday nap over blogging, ha!)

I'm going to write this blog post in whatever order the pictures download, so it might be a little out of order, but everything on here happened in May, June, or July of this year. :)

Mitch and I ran Ragnar! We were on a team with our neighbors and we had a blast. This was Mitch's first time running it and my second. We were in the second van with Kurt and Liz Whitesides and James and Kristy Brannon. We had an awesome van because we all got along great and shared a lot of laughs. Mitch was the runner who ran the first half of the uphill known as "Ragnar" and he rocked it. Seriously, it is pretty much straight up the mountain and he ran it so fast with only small amounts of walking. I had really easy legs and I felt really good with my times. I was worried for a while that I wouldn't be able to participate because I hardly trained due to lack of sleep (Marcus!), but it all worked out and I'm so glad Mitch and I were able to participate in it together. It was so hard to leave the kids, especially since it was my first time leaving Marcus overnight. I may have shed some tears. :) He was fine though and when we got back he wanted nothing to do with me! He would not leave my mom's arms. It was so funny. He was his normal, mamma's boy self once we got home though.



We have spent a lot of time outside this summer, either at a park, or on bike rides/stroller walks, or with the kids in the bike trailer or the double stroller. We've also set up the kiddie pool and water table a few times.
 Layla had her last day of preschool! She loved it and is looking forward to going to her new preschool this fall. I am just glad that I won't have to teach this time around. ;)
Marcus has such a goofy personality! He's kind of lazy, actually. Ha, ha! For example, instead of picking up his cup or bottle, he'll lean his head over it and bite it to lift it up, then tip his head back to drink without ever having to use his hands. Goofball.
My love for running is slowly coming back thanks to this double jogging stroller I picked up at a yard sale for $50. We got out in it at least twice a week, and then on bikes once a week, and I try to run by myself on the weekends. The kids didn't like it at first because they kept bugging each other, but now they both look forward to it. I like to think of it as "the get along stroller."
 One day Layla, Marcus, and I met Nicole, Oakley, and Dexter at City Creek. We had fun shopping, seeing Temple Square, and playing in the fountains. Layla got soaked. I literally had to ring her shirt out! She had a great time.
 We have never cut Layla's hair. But Marcus was starting to get some crazy wings and hair sticking up all over, so we decided to give him a little haircut. My mom went to barber school and I don't want to pay to get his haircut every 4 weeks (or however often it needs), so she will be his hair stylist. Pretty convenient! Thanks, Mom! He didn't particularly enjoy getting his hair cut because he had to wear a cape and hold still, but he did good and he looks so handsome with his new 'do!

 
 Before and after pics below. We really didn't change much, just trimmed around the sides and a little off the back. We left the curls on the bottom. They're my favorite.
Another funny thing Marcus does is "relax" on the couch with the remote. He'll lean back and get really comfortable and point the remote at the tv. He looks like a little man. It's hilarious! Also, when he climbs to the top of the stairs, he'll "rest" by leaning against the wall like he's taking a break.  
 These pics are ones my mom sent me while we were at Ragnar. (I missed the kids just a little and needed some pics to get me through. I know, I should spend a little time away from them so it's not so hard.)

 Marcus's first time in a swing. The picture tells all: he loved it!
 Layla loves to push him in the swing.
It was so relaxing that he fell asleep.
 Roasted mallows.
 
 They took the kids to Jungle Jim's. This was Marcus's first time on the rides, and just like the swing, he loved it! His face says it all. I love that he is brave enough to these things at his age!

 
Sometimes he makes a duck face. He's so handsome even when he's being silly.
 
Mitch's work had a small open house so we stopped by for a few minutes. It was fun to see where he works and meet some of the people he works with. They all seem so nice (and intelligent). In the ten minutes we were in his office, Marcus managed to wreak havoc of Mitch's paper, keyboard, magazines, etc. Good thing he's cute. And Mitch too!
Jordan and Tenley had their baby! Tennesey Belle Miles. She is our first niece and made Mitch and I an aunt and uncle for the first time, which means she is also the kids' first cousin. We are so happy for them and love her already. Hopefully we will be able to meet her soon.

These are the favors I made for Tenley's baby shower. They are succulents in baby food jars. I was really proud of myself since I am not a crafty person.
 The kids play together pretty well these days. Layla has her moments where she's impatient, but honestly, I don't blame her at times since Marcus is "always messing up" her stuff. They love each other so much and are always giving each other hugs. It's super cute.
 Layla cries every single day when Mitch leaves to work. One morning he left before she woke up and he knew she'd be upset, so he wrote her a little note and left it at her spot at the kitchen table.
 I got my hair did! I added some blonde and I really like it.
And if you made it to the end, then you will now know that Marcus is FINALLY sleeping through the night! It has seriously changed our lives. We are all well-rested for the first time in a long time! We took Marcus to a pediatric sleep specialist, Dr. Pfeffer. It was an interesting visit because after telling her the whole story, she started crying! She said her daughter was the exact same way, acid reflux and all, and didn't start sleeping through the night until she was four years old. She said it put a huge strain on their relationship and that most days she wanted to get on a plane and fly away. And she was a practicing sleep specialist at the time! So of course I was worried and sad that I would probably be dealing with this for another three years, but then she composed herself and told me about the method she had learned about with her daughter that finally got her sleeping. She gave me an article on it and told me that I "have a lot of work to do and it's going to be extremely difficult" and that she feels for me.

So we set a date for when we wanted to start the new method of sleep training. We decided to wait until Sunday, July 6th, so we wouldn't have to ruin our 4th of July plans. (The 4th was fun, btw! Layla had such a good time at her sleepover the night before with Kevin and Kathy. They did all sorts of things: swimming, snow cones, the little fair, etc. Then we picked her up and went to the Bells' new house for a BBQ and fireworks with their family and the Kitchens. It was fun!)

Anywho, we started Sunday. The plan was for me to completely stop nursing him, put him in his crib, and leave the room. He was crying, of course, and then I went back in after longer increments of time. When I went in I was not to touch him at all, don't pick him up, don't rub his back, etc. I just repeated the same thing to him each time and stayed in his room for less than one minute. I would say, "Time for night-night, Marcus. Mamma loves you. I'll see you in the morning," in a calm, mono-tone voice. It was SO hard the first time I went in to see tears just rolling down his cheeks while he stood in his crib, reaching out for me to pick him up. I came out of his room and Mitch hugged me while I cried. It was sad. It took just over one hour that first night before he fell asleep all on his own. And then he slept for five straight hours! His long stretch only got longer on the second and third night until he now sleeps for nine to ten hours straight! We are so proud of him! Now it's been a full week and he usually sleeps at least nine hours and then gets up around 5:30 am and I can get him back to sleep for another hour or so. Naps are still difficult, but we're making progress and that's what matters, right?

What else? Marcus likes to walk while holding our hands, and he is getting pretty good at standing all by himself. He loves to climb stairs and is okay at going down them. He says, "Hi, Mum Mum (that's what he calls me), Dada, and Yaya for Layla. Those are pretty much his only words still. He is really good at playing catch! He has quite the aim when he throws the ball. Playing catch is his favorite activity right now.

And of course I have to record the funny things Layla has said lately!

The other day at lunch, she said the prayer for the blessing on the food. She always says random things in her prayer, and this time she added, "Thank you that I can love mamma." It was so sweet! That same night at dinner she said the prayer, only this time she said, "Please help me that I can love mamma." Of course Mitch and I were laughing about it and I explained to him that she must have really meant "thank you that I can love mamma" since that's what she had said earlier. Well, since we all laughed about it, she has said "Please help me that I can love mamma" in every prayer since. That's what I get for laughing, I guess. The other night we asked her, "Why do you say 'Please help me to love mamma?' " She said, "Because I'm starting to not." Awww, that's sad, but for some reason we laughed. I guess it's because we know she's only four and doesn't exactly know what she's saying, and we know she loves me from the dozens of hugs and "I love you's" she randomly gives me throughout the day. Anyways, it has now become a pretty funny joke around here. :)

Layla told me the other day that she is going to name her daughter "Sparkle" and her son "Handsome." But then she looked at Marcus in his high chair and said, "No, I'm going to name him Messy." Ha, ha!

Last weekend Mitch and I were going on a date. As we were leaving, Layla asked, "Is it going to be a hot date?" We just laughed and then realized she asked because she really wanted us to eat some Otter Pops and she thought that if we were "hot" we would take some on our "hot date." What a thinker!

She went swimming with Brandon and Katie yesterday. When Brandon came to pick her up, she told him, "Girl swimming suits have a top and a bottom, but boy swimming suite only have a bottom, so that means I'm going to see your nipples today." Ha, ha, ha! She thinks it's so weird and funny when boys don't wear shirts!

Guess who can read? My Layla Bug! We worked on sight words every day for several weeks. We started with two letter words and worked our way up to four letter words. Then we started having her read her new Biscuit books. And she caught right on! She has a strong desire to learn and loves to read, plus I helped her every day, and now she is doing awesome! She really has a photographic memory because I show her a word once or twice and she's got it memorized. It's incredible. Of course there are plenty of big words that she doesn't know, but she tries her best to sound them out, and can easily memorize them once she knows what they are. At first I was hesitant to say that she could actually read, but the other week at the Botts' she read a card perfectly that Katie had written, which Layla had obviously never seen before. That's when I knew that she can actually read. I hope she keeps her love of reading!

I've had a lot of photography sessions lately. It's been great. I truly love taking the pictures and editing them. Most of all, I love hearing back from my clients telling me how much they love their pictures! It makes my heart happy. I have saved enough to buy a telephoto lens and I am so excited to buy it this month!

Mitch is still slaving away at work and school. Actually, school has been less busy this summer, which is great! He only has two more classes left and then he can dive into his dissertation. Hooray! I'm so proud of him and how hard he works every day.

Well, gotta end this novel and get the kids ready to go play outside before it gets too hot. It's been in the upper 90s or over 100 for a few weeks now. It's going to be a long, hot summer! We are having fun though, despite the heat. We just go out in the mornings and stay in most of the day. It should hopefully cool off a little in a month or so. Even just 10 degrees would be great!

No comments:

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...