5.31.2015

May 2015, Second Edition

This month Mitch and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary! Yay us! Mitch had to go to  Massachusetts for work, so we decided to make an anniversary trip out of it. We flew into Boston on a Friday and spent Saturday exploring that historical city. We walked almost 12 miles on Saturday and saw many sites. We did the Freedom Trail, walked up and down most of Newbury Street, tried to go to the art museum (it closed 15 minutes after we got there), ate a Georgetown cupcake (worth every penny!), ate Sushi for lunch, and had a super fancy dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. The weather was great and we really enjoyed ourselves. I liked Boston. I said I wish we had gone there before London or Paris because it paled in comparison to those cities, maybe partly because we're not huge history buffs, but I am glad we were able to see it. Most of all, it was just nice to spend time together, with no obligations or time schedules.
Selfie in Boston.
The cemeteries fascinated me.

On Sunday we drove west and saw Walden Pond where Henry David Thoreau spent a couple years of his life (he is one of my heroes). It was quaint and the water was so clear! I enjoyed talking to a couple of fishermen there and hearing their strong Boston accents. We also saw the home of Louisa May Alcott and Nathaniel Hawthorne, as well as the home that Little Women was based on. I was in literary-nerd heaven and Mitch willingly obliged.


Thoreau showing me a funny video on his smart phone. ;)
After that we headed even farther west for my favorite part of the trip ... visiting our friends, the Burts! They live in Pittsfield, Mass. which is about 3 hours west of Boston in the Berkshire mountains (or big hills as they seemed to us). I loved just chatting with Sue in person! We talk on the phone a few times a month, but it was nice to see her in her element and just hang out. The Burt's home is beautiful and they have a gorgeous back yard.  Ryleigh and Eli are adorable, smart, fun children and they helped me not miss my kids as much. I just wish we could have brought our kids; they would have had so much fun with Ryleigh and Eli!!! We really need to get our families together some time.


On Monday I hung out with Sue and saw more of her city. We met up with Mitch for lunch, then Mitch and I went souvenir shopping (Marcus a Red Sox hat, my parents some chocolates, Layla a book about Paul Revere). We met up with the Burts at a great restaurant called Da' koto (I think) and had a great time visiting with their family over yummy food. Tuesday morning I drove to Sue's house and said goodbye before heading out to the airport (Mitch had to stay for the rest of the week).
Marcus in his Red Sox hat that he loves and will only wear backwards.

I am glad we were able to go on the trip! My one regret is not taking a pic with the Burt's while we were there! What was I thinking?!? I guess we just have to get together again. That way we can meet sweet baby Reese, who will be joining them in August. :)
Art museum. 
This year our anniversary actually fell on Mother's Day. I called it, "The Year of the Two-fer" since it was two for one. ;) Mother's Day was great. Mitch and the kids made me breakfast in bed! I told Mitch that's what I wanted, and he said he didn't know how since we didn't have a serving tray. So to be honest, I was surprised when they walked in our room with breakfast ... on a cookie sheet. Not with a plate ... the food was actually on the cookie sheet, ha, ha! I should have taken a picture, it was awesome. I was totally happy with that and having a great day when Mitch surprised me with a gift. I didn't expect anything since we had just gone to Boston, but he gave me a Blendtech Blender! What?!? I was so surprised! And I LOVE that blender! It makes the best green smoothies ever and I use it every day. It is kind of loud, and Marcus hates it and has to plug his ears and hug someone (usually Layla) while it's running. I love my husband and am so glad I married him! I love being a mom and it was nice celebrating both of the things that make up a large part of who I am in the same day.
Marcus plugging his ears and hugging Layla while I run the blender.

Mitch's grandpa also passed away this month. Jim Jory is Mitch's maternal grandfather. He was battling bone cancer and was in a lot of pain. He was able to go home and pass away, which was his wish. The funeral was on a Tuesday. Mitch said a the family prayer and his words were beautiful and full of the spirit. My grandma watched the kids while Mitch and I went to the service. The service was beautiful also and everyone had nice things to say. Kathy's words were especially well-said and I enjoyed hearing the stories about Grandpa JJ. That was the most I've ever seen Mitch cry, so of course I cried too. It was an emotional day, but we are glad that he is no longer in pain. Like my grandma told me, "We don't cry for those who are gone, we cry for those who are left."
Mitch found this pic at his Grandparent's house after Grandpa JJ passed.
This is Mitch at age 5, or a boy version of Layla.
I can't get over how much Layla looks like Mitch in this picture!!!
Most of all, I think it was just a realization for me that we are reaching the point in our lives where we will lose our grandparents and watch our parents lose their parents. It's a hard thing to do. It makes me extremely grateful for my faith and belief system. I know we will see those who have passed on again. This life is not the end and Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. There are so many people I look forward to seeing again when I die and I know we will embrace each other and it will be such a happy occasion. We are so blessed!

No comments:

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...