11.01.2015

GG Bott

Mitch's paternal grandmother, Verda Bott, passed away last month. She was so special to our family and we miss her greatly! From the very first time I met Verda, to the last time I saw her, she made me feel special and loved. She truly emanates that Christlike love that we talk about at church and all strive to possess and share with others. Love came naturally to her and anyone who has spent time with her has been blessed by her gift of being able to love everyone without regard. I look up to her in many ways: her never-ending patience, her undying faith, her contagious optimism, but most of all for the love that she radiated to all who were blessed to be in her presence.

We visited her for the last time about a week and a half before she passed. I knew as we left that it would be the last time we saw her in this life. I don't know why, but when my grandpa passed, I also knew a few days before that he would pass away that week. With Verda I had the same feeling, though I was not able to share my thoughts with anyone. Perhaps I didn't want to worry Mitch, especially if I happened to be wrong. But looking back, I feel that the Holy Ghost was able to comfort me during both deaths by gently letting me know ahead of time.

We were kneeling around Layla's bed for family prayer when we told Layla that GG Bott had passed away. Layla immediately broke down into sobs, crawled onto her bed and laid in fetal position, and between sobs choked out the words, "I loved her! I loved visiting her!" It was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. I know my kids felt the unconditional, unsolicited love that Verda had for them and they had for her in return. And the loads of candy she always gave them probably played a part too. ;)

The funeral was very nice and we enjoyed spending time with the extended Bott family; we don't see them often enough anymore. Verda is buried with her husband and other relatives in a cemetery in Ogden. We did not take the kids. Marcus would have been fine, but I didn't want Layla to have that experience yet. Especially when she was so close to GG Bott. I would rather her remember the good visits we had, and not the funeral and people crying (though it was happy crying; the kind that we will miss her but are happy for her to be reunited with her husband).

I was grateful that we could explain to Layla what happens after this life. It is comforting to know that life goes on, and that we will see GG Bott again, and that she is happy and no longer in pain or disabled. It's still sad because we miss her, but it is a peaceful, happy type of sad (if that makes any sense at all). I know that we will see Verda again and I would love to do a little jig with her since the whole time I knew her she was confined to her recliner chair. It makes me smile to think of dancing with her! She will be missed, but not forgotten!

No comments:

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...