5.04.2016

A 6 Year Old and Other Things

Layla turned 6! I can't believe it, and yet I can because she seems so grown up lately. She was spoiled rotten for a week straight! She had 12 friends over, yes, 12! It was so loud and crazy with 13 little girls over here, but she was in heaven. I am so happy that we live in an area with so many little friends for our kids!

She wanted a "pancakes and pajamas" party. We ate breakfast food like pancakes, chocolate milk, strawberries, whip cream, and yogurt parfaits (with yogurt and Fruity Pebbles cereal). We made cereal necklaces.

We also played "pin the number 6 on the balloon that doesn't have a 6 already on it" (Layla's idea). I didn't realize until I set it all up how much it resembles a game the devil would play at a birthday party! LOL.

The girls were hilarious when Layla opened her presents. They kept crowding around her, closer and closer, until I couldn't see Layla at all. They were all so excited and giggly!

The next day we had our families over for another party. I really should be better at taking pictures at the family parties as well! Of course Layla was spoiled again and she really loved all her gifts! We had a yummy dinner and enjoyed visiting with our families.


Mitch and I gave Layla a Hello Kitty digital watch for one of her birthday presents. For several days afterwards she felt the need to tell us the time. It was pretty funny/frustrating. ;) "Mom, it's 12:17," "Dad, it's 2:37," etc. On Sunday morning, trying to sleep in, and we hear, "Mom and Dad! It's 8:03, time to wake up!" Oh boy.

What can I say about Layla now that she's a six year old? I am amazed by her, every day, even six years later. How did I get to be her mom? She teaches me more than I could ever teach her about humility, kindness, patience, and a million other lessons I need to learn. Sometimes I feel like she is setting the example for ME, when it's supposed to be the other way around! I feel really, really blessed and humbled to be her mom. She is going to do amazing things with her life. Oh, and she's still such a smart girl! I can't even believe the spelling words she's bringing home in Kindergarten, how much Chinese she can speak, and the books she's reading. She's a whiz kid. I also love her goofy personality that is emerging more and more; she can really make me laugh with her witty comments!


Layla also had her two bottom teeth fall out ... kind of. They were loose, and then her new teeth grew in behind, not underneath, the baby teeth. Like a shark. She had two rows of teeth! It completely freaked me out. (I am so paranoid when it comes to teeth because I had braces for 5 years as a kid.) I decided to take her to the dentist so he could check it out and he said the baby teeth needed to come out, so he pulled them. I was glad because I couldn't have pulled them myself (I don't do blood in any form), but I was mad because I had to pay for something I could have done for free! Oh well. Now her new teeth are slowly moving forward, but there's not enough room for them, which will probably mean braces in the future. What do you do? At least orthodontists have figured out a thing or two since I had braces, and from what I'm told kids don't typically have braces for longer than two years now. That makes me feel a little bit better. :)


Marcus was such a sweet boy during all of Layla's birthday festivities! I thought he'd be upset that she was getting so much attention and so many gifts, but he really was sweet about it and would say things like, "Can I have a bawoon when it's my birfday, Mama?" He melts my heart. The other day at the grocery store the cashier gave Marcus a sucker. He asked for another one, "for my sister" and I totally thought he would just eat it too, but he asked me to put it in my purse to save for her. What a sweet guy!

Marcus has said a couple of funny things lately, but our favorite is when he prays. For a couple of weeks, every time he prayed he said, "Thank you that my mom changed my poopy bum, in the name of Jesus Christ poopy bum, amen." Slightly irreverent, but hilarious! When he wants to eat lunch outside he asks if we can have a "picpic" instead of picnic and I love it so I never correct him. Now if I could just get him potty trained ....
He keeps taking selfies on my phone.




Wanted to add a couple of pics of some of the things Mitch has done around the house lately. He made me this beautiful HOME sign. I told him what I wanted it to look like, bought the stain, and painted the letters, and he did the rest. It's even prettier up close. I should take an updated pic of it actually hanging on the wall instead of just sitting on the entertainment center.

Mitch also spent HOURS working on our entry way. He added all the molding, trim, and coving and I absolutely love how it turned out. My dad and brother, who are both talented at wood working, told Mitch that he did a great job for a rookie. ;) What can I say, Mitch is a jack of all trades. I knew I loved him!  We also got a new mirror, table, rug, and decor for the entryway. I spent way too much on the table, but I don't care because I love it. How's that for spoiled?


Speaking of Mitch, he is ridiculously busy at work. Like insanely busy. I can't wait until this proposal is done in a few months so I can actually hang out with him again! The upside is that he loves his job and they take good care of him. But if he was this busy all the time we'd be looking for a new job! Not to mention school. He's waiting to hear back on his proposal for his dissertation, then he has to take a week-long test, and then get started on writing the actual dissertation. Sounds like a lot of work to me! Just another reason why I think he's amazing. I can't wait until he graduates and I can hang a huge sign on the garage that says, "Congrats, Dr. Bott!" How cool will that be?

I haven't been feeling well lately. I finally went to an internist and had some blood work done. Turns out my Vitamin B12 is high, which could explain the numbness and tingling I've been having in my feet and hands. Also, my CRP is high (it should be 3 or less, and mine is 13.5), which means there could be inflammation in my heart. With all the heart disease on both sides of my family, I'm not shocked, just surprised to see something like that when I'm still so young and take pretty good care of myself. But, it does explain why I'm so tired, can't lose the weight I gained randomly, brain fog, and a few other minor symptoms. The doctor wants me to take aspirin and have my CRP re-tested in a few weeks. I guess this is the wake up call I need. Even though I eat healthy and exercise, I have to be extremely diligent since it's bound to affect me at some time. So, I'll have to tweak my diet somewhat and exercise more than what I currently do (which since my marathon hasn't been much). In the back of my mind I've always known this was coming, but it's overwhelming to think about how to eat a certain way and realize I have to change things in my life that are currently so comfortable and convenient. :/
No more Leatherby's caramel sauce for me. :(
Other than that, I'm loving life! I've been reading lots of books again (just finished A Tale of Two Cities) and enjoying more time outside. I even went running the other day and it felt so good! I was able to go on Layla's first Kindergarten field trip (thanks, Mom, for watching Marcus!) and we had a great time. She was tired and slightly grumpy at the end, but overall we had fun!

I'm looking forward to our summer vacations: Jackson Hole, Cape Cod, Bear Lake. Hoping to squeeze in another girls trip to Tuachan with Nicole and Oakley! I feel blessed and optimistic and happy!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I love you:)

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...