11.12.2017

Piano

I had to record the latest ongoings with Layla's piano lessons ... in case she asks about it when she's older. My hope is that she will be a talented pianist when she grows up, but if she decides to quit, and regrets it when she's an adult, then this is to let her know that I tried EVERYTHING to get her to stick with it! ;) But this note I found in her school notebook, which I don't think she intended for me to find, is what led us to the decision we made.


Layla started playing the piano the same month she turned five years old. She has been taking Suzuki piano with Tamra (Tami) Baker ever since. And she has always hated it. We practice for 45 minutes a day, four or five days a week. I would say at least half of the time she ends up in tears. I have tried games, sticker charts, rewards, surprises, and everything else I could think of to make it more enjoyable for her. We've talked about grit, about sticking with it, about hard work paying off, and all to no avail. She just simply has not enjoyed playing the piano. And I was finally, after 2.5 years, done fighting with her. I felt like she was very happy and we had a great relationship ... except for the piano.
While Tami is strict, she is a kind person.
Layla asked for a pic with her at her last recital.
September 2017
After a couple of months of talking it over with Mitch, we finally decided to let Layla quit piano. Or at least the Suzuki part of it. It is very rigid, and focuses primarily on classical music pieces. I love it. It produces incredible pianists and the method makes a lot of sense to me. Buuuut, I understand how it does not appeal to young children. So, we decided to have her finish out this year in Suzuki and then switch her to traditional next year. She was very happy when we told her our decision. (Actually, when we first brought piano lessons up to her, she immediately teared up and tried to explain why she doesn't like piano. See? She couldn't even discuss piano lessons without crying!) More than anything, I don't want her to grow up and never touch an instrument again because she hated it so much as a child. It's supposed to be enjoyable, not torture! Of course it will be hard, but if it can be somewhat fun too, then the hard parts will be bearable.
Layla graduated Suzuki Level 2 in September 2017
after playing for 2.5 years.
Anyways, we went to piano that night and I knew I had to tell her teacher. I had been putting this off for weeks. To be honest, Tami is a very nice person, but she is strict and intimidating. I knew she would not be happy when I told her. And I was right. She was upset. In the end, we decided to finish out this year as a traditional student, then see how we feel and if we want to do another semester as traditional or Suzuki.

Right now, Layla is happier than she's ever been with the piano. She is practicing all by herself, with very little complaining and not one tear shed. And she is doing so well! I feel like she has learned more in the last few weeks than she has in the last several months. She even is playing on her own when she doesn't need to practice. She is finally playing for fun, just to play, because she actually enjoys it! Who knew?! I am grateful and hopeful about this!
Layla invited Ella Bott, aka "Sissy", to her last piano recital.
I don't know yet if we'll stay with Tami and do traditional or Suzuki, or switch teachers and do traditional with someone else. I'm taking it one day at a time. But I will have to decide in the next few weeks when it comes time to pay Tami for next semester. Part of my decision hinges on what to do with Marcus when he starts piano. I always thought I'd start him at five years old too, but I don't think he'll be ready then. I need to give that all some more thought, but for now Layla is happy, so I'm happy. I hope she will continue to grow her love for the piano and beautiful music!

1 comment:

Julia M. said...

I remember Layla as a baby (back when blogging was the thing) and she has always been incredibly brilliant. We have piano battles at our house, too, but we started with Let's Play Music and that is SO fun! (Maybe Marcus could do it?) Phin has just done traditional piano since then and we practice about 15-20 minutes a day. If we do it before school, it's a breeze. He fights it, though, and hates it. But I know it's good for him and his brain. I can't imagine 45 minutes, though. Woof. Good job mom. All the negotiating will be worth it!

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...