A couple of things I want to remember:
-I was released from my calling as a Beehive Advisor in the young women program. I was ready to be released. I was in that calling for over three years. I love the girls and will miss them! It was hard to attend all of the Tuesday night activities, especially when Mitch was out of town. Honestly, if it weren't for that, I would have no reservations about that calling. But that was difficult to manage at times. I hope that I helped some of the girls, at least in some small way, as I know their incredible examples and strong testimonies helped me.I was called as a Service Coordinator. I am on a committee with Kathy Lifferth (whom I don't really know yet) and Liz Whitesides (one of my best friends). We are in charge of setting up any service in our ward. For example, if someone needs a dinner brought in for a birth, surgery, death, etc. then we coordinate that. We also set up any help people might need, like lawn care during illness, etc. It's an incredibly easy calling, so I have also been volunteering to substitute teach in Primary when needed.
Today I was able to teach Layla's age group and it was fun to be in her class. I honestly love being in the Primary and seeing those sweet kids sing the songs that taught me the Gospel and listen to their pure testimonies of Jesus. Such sweet kids, and hilarious too!
Back to my new calling ... it's funny because I seem to follow Liz around in all of her church callings. When she was released as Relief Society teacher, I took her place. She was put in Young Womens and after I taught Relief Society for only 6 months, I was called to be a Beehive advisor with Liz. We served together in that calling for about 2 years until she was called to be in the Young Women Presidency. Because I was still an advisor in Young Womens, we still worked together often. We were both released from Young Womens at the same time and put into our new Service Coordinator callings at the same time. We were pretty much destined to be friends and I just love her. We hang out most Fridays, during what we call, "Fizz with Liz" because we originally spent our Friday free-time getting sodas from Fizz and doing whatever fun thing came to mind. Lately we spend a couple of hours eating lunch, getting a delicious cookie from a little shop called Sips, doing a random act of kindness for a neighbor we think could use a pick-me-up, or going shopping. We laugh a lot and I look forward my Friday time with Liz every week!
I do miss the wonderful women I served with in Young Womens! Natalie Hackett is amazing, Christy Webster has become a good friend of mine and is so wise in her parenting, Jessie Molyneaux is hilarious and such a fun person to be with, Jennifer Hobley is THE sweetest and I hope she and her husband stay in our ward for a while (young married couples don't seem to stay long), Becky Packard has been a long-time friend of mine and someone I have learned so much from about parenting and being an example of Christ. They are ALL amazing and I learned something from each of them. I feel honored that I was able to serve with such a Christlike group of women.
-It is now November. I usually pull my light lamp out the end of September or first of October. This year I'm feeling a lot better. Not sad or mad at all, just tired with the shorter amount of sunlight. I just pulled my light lamp out last week. I usually spend 30 to 45 minutes a day, usually around 2:00 pm with my light lamp, Diet Mountain Dew, and a book. It's a great way to have a little "me time."
-I also want to remember some of the hilarious things Marcus has said lately:
He was upset with his sister for interrupting him, but was confused and said, "LAYLA! You
sisterrupted me!"
The kids slept over at my parents' house and my mom was kissing and rubbing his soft cheeks
and lips. He didn't seem to mind until he said, in a very nice voice, "Keep your hands and
feet to yourself, Mammy."
Marcus and his BFF, Mason. These two are going to be lady killers when they grow up!
Marcus still doesn't have a very good concept of time, which is normal for his age. For
some reason, instead of saying "tomorrow" he says, "the day after this day." It still makesme laugh.
Marcus is not a fan of drawing, coloring, or writing. He is improving at these things, but he
still hates doing them. He has to write his name four times nicely before he can go out to
recess at preschool. This drives him nuts and he will usually whine (a lot) before preschool
because he doesn't want to go and write his name. We picked Layla up from school recently
and she was talking on and on about all the cool things she did at school that day. Marcus
asked, "So, Waywuh (Layla), do you have to write your name at your school?" Oh man,
I could see the wheels turning in his head, thinking she gets to do so many cool things at her
school and maybe she doesn't have to write her name. She said she did and he said, "Oh
man!" I know he will eventually get over this, but it sure is frustrating to fight with him
about going to preschool in the mean time! We've tried talking about it and explaining how
important it is that he learns to write his name, how learning is his "job", etc. but at the end of
the day he's still a four year old boy who calls tomorrow "the day after this day" and I love
him for that!
-Our Layla is thriving in the gifted program this year. Most of the math and reading she is doing is on the 3rd grade level and her scores are incredible. I was as proud as a peacock after parent teacher conferences. The change in her confidence level is amazing and I am so happy that she is loving school this year! She is so intelligent and I hope she uses that gift for good!

-Mitch is still working on his Ph,D. His professor is pretty certain he will be done December of 2018. Finally there is an end in sight! We are planning to take the kids to his graduation in Alabama and then surprise them with a trip to Disney World. I can't wait, but I'm sure no one is more excited about it than Mitch! I am amazed at his hard work and grit!



No comments:
Post a Comment