Look at me--- up to 2 posts in one year!
I wanted to update on the rest of summer because we had some epic trips this year. First, Mitch and I celebrated our 15 year anniversary by spending 8 days in Hawaii. It was great! We stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village, the same resort we stayed at 5 years ago, and it did not disappoint. Especially for only $200 a night! While there, we swam with manta rays at night, hiked around the volcano national park, went to the top of Mauna Kea, snorkeled in pristine water, and ate a lot of fresh pineapple. It was wonderful to spend so much one on one time together. It seems we're both so busy anymore that we don't spend time together often enough. We had a blast and while we missed the kids like crazy, we soaked up every minute of relaxation and sunshine.
The other big trip this summer was a long time coming. Growing up, I went to Lake Powell each summer with my dad's side of the family. We all stayed on a houseboat and had the best time. We stopped going about the time my grandpa passed away. It had been 20 years since I had stayed on a houseboat at Powell! And Mitch and the kids had never had that glorious experience. So, last January, I emailed all of my cousins and asked who wanted to go. I figured I'd get a handful of responses, but we got enough people to fill 2 houseboats! We had a great time and Mitch and the kids are now sold on the houseboating experience. I am currently planning next year's trip and we're already excited!
Pretty soon school started and now here we are, two weeks in. Layla started 7th grade at the junior high, a big change for sure. She is also a student body officer and is taking all Honors classes as well as 8th grade Math Honors. For some reason we also decided to sign her up for 4 dance classes, AND she auditioned for the 7th grade school musical and is being considered for the lead role (Junie B. Jones)! To say she is busy is an understatement, but she is loving it. I won't lie, last week was full of ups and downs. She kept saying, "I did it. I went to 7th grade. I'm done." Hahaha! She was half joking, half serious, but mostly exhausted. She went to school at 6:50 am on the first day for SBO duties, then didn't get home until 5:30 pm because she had to stay for the volleyball games after school. What a long day! But she truly is thriving and is learning and growing so much. She is meeting new people and making new friends. I am so proud of her and the way she is handling so much responsibility and change. Of course, we have repeatedly told her that we can easily drop a dance class or whatever else she needs if she starts to feel overwhelmed. She was also called to be the Beehive Class President at church last month, so that is also more responsibility (though she has already had some powerful spiritual experiences through her calling). Better to be busy than bored, right?
Marcus had a good first day. His teacher is not his favorite. At all. He has Mrs. Manning this year, the same teacher Layla had for 4th grade. She is a wonderful teacher with superb classroom management skills, but she is more blunt and a get-it-done kind of person who doesn't mess around. Marcus will be okay, but it is a learning experience for him to have a teacher who is more stern and less forthcoming with her praise. He loves his friends in class though and says it is nice to not be bored or be learning French.
I started back at work, too. I truly admire the principal I work for and can see how he is inspired in his job. He makes it a fun place to be. I am working with 9th grade students this year. They are hilarious and fun, but I also feel anxious about getting them to pass classes and earn credits towards high school graduation. Only time will tell, but I definitely have a dozen students or so who are going to give me a run for my money!

No comments:
Post a Comment