8.21.2008

Random Thoughts

Here's what's been on my mind today:
First, I went and picked up my books for my LAST SEMESTER EVER today. Yeah! I was really excited for one of the classes I'm taking. The title of the class is "Eminent Authors." Naturally, I expected the required book to be an anthology of literature from the most prominent authors. Maybe Joyce, Bronte, Dostoevsky,Tolstoy, Hemingway, Steinbeck, Austen, you get the picture. But when I went and got my books today, guess what book I needed for this class? ... The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes by Doyle. I was SO mad! You mean to tell me that I sign up for a class called "Eminent Authors" and I'm only going to read one author? That's dumb! Not only that, but Doyle isn't exactly eminent. Word on the street is that this professor is obsessed with Sherlock Holmes. It totally bugs me when professors only teach what they're interested in. That's not right. We're supposed to read the works of eminent authors, plural. Anyways, that had my panties all in a bunch today. Hopefully the class will be good enough that I won't care later in the semester.
I just finished reading The Rise of Silas Lapham. It was funny in an ironic, sarcastic way. I really enjoyed it and recommend it. It's about a man, Silas Lapham, and his rise and fall in society. If you read between the lines, it's about the way society works and how comically and ironically we all strive to move up the ladder of society. Watch for the irony in the main character's life and the fact that in the end, he never learned anything at all. It was a good read.
That's all.

No comments:

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...