So far, Mitch and I have been lucky during this whole economic crisis. We both have good, stable jobs, which I thank my Heavenly Father for every day. Sadly, my little bro just got laid off. My dad and other bro might be temporarily out of work in a week or so. Our country is in a scary situation. I just read on the news that the senate passed the 838 billion dollar stimulus bill. I don't understand it well enough to say whether or not I agree with it. But I will say this: if it gets passed, I hope it makes a difference as quickly as possible. Hopefully the senate, congress, and Obama can make a positive, effective change to our situation.
Speaking of Obama, I'm still hearing people say he's a terrorist. I don't understand their logic. Sure, his middle name is Hussein, but why does that make him a terrorist? Perhaps the name Hussein denotes Saddam Hussein, and thus, terrorism. I found an article that said this about Obama's middle name: "Americans may think of Saddam Hussein when they hear the name, but that is like thinking of Stalin when you hear the name Joseph."
Barack Hussein Obama. It's just a name people! A person's name does not mean they will grow up to be a certain way. So, before you start assuming that Hussein = terrorist, show me some proof of an act of terrorism that Obama has committed. Then, and only then, will I agree with you.
I found this interesting article about Obama's name, which I referenced earlier. Check it out here. I especially liked this part:
Now let us take the name "Hussein." It is from the Semitic word hasan, meaning "good" or "handsome." Husayn is the diminutive, affectionate form.
Barack Obama's middle name is in honor of his grandfather, Hussein, a secular resident of Nairobi, Kenya. Americans may think of Saddam Hussein when they hear the name, but that is like thinking of Stalin when you hear the name Joseph. There have been lots of Husseins in history, from the grandson of the prophet Mohammed, a hero who touched the historian Gibbon, to King Hussein of Jordan, one of America's most steadfast allies in the 20th century. The author of the beloved American novel "The Kite Runner" is Khaled Hosseini. But in Obama's case, it is just a reference to his grandfather.
So, I don't want to hear any more crazy talk about Obama being a terrorist, just because his middle name is Hussein.
Most of all, I want this whole economic stimulus thing to do its job and get my bro his job back!
2.10.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2024 Wrap Up
Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...
-
No, I did not do anything scandalous at the Keith Urban concert last night, although I'm sure many other women did. For Mother's Day...
-
"Come on down and join the winning team, because here at Globo Gym we're better than you, and we know it!" Ha,ha, remember tha...
-
Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...
No comments:
Post a Comment