2.02.2009

Superbowl Weekend

This weekend was great. Mitch and I watched the end of the superbowl. It was a good game. The only reason why I watched it was to make sure I also saw the hour long episode of "The Office." I was so excited cuz I heard that Jack Black and Jessica Alba were going to be guest stars. What a disappointment! Pam and Jim were watching a movie, on a laptop, and Jack Black and Jessica Alba were in the movie they were watching on the laptop. Boo. That was lame. The episode was pretty funny though.
We went to dinner and went bowling with some friends. I'm a horrible bowler, but I broke 80! I was happy with myself. At first we couldn't figure out what was going on because some of us would get strikes even when we only knocked down 7 of the pins. Apparently the game was set up so 7 pins or more counted as a strike. Ha,ha. (We did eventually fix the problem.)
This weekend I also went to a Zumba class with some friends. It's basically an aerobic class that consists of doing various Brazilian dances. Now I'm not a very coordinated dancer, and I'm okay with that. But I consider myself to be in pretty good shape; I can run a few miles without any problems. However, I quickly learned that I cannot do Zumba for very long without feeling like my legs are going to keel over. I guess the muscles I use to run are not the same muscles I use to do Zumba. They had a contest going -the person who squatted the lowest during one dance would win 10 free tans. You better believe I gave it my all. Unfortunately, my all wasn't enough. Now it's two days later and my legs and back are still SO sore! I walk with a limp and have a hard time getting up out of a chair. Mitch has been laughing at my pain all weekend. I don't blame him, I know I look pretty funny. So, the moral of the story is this: just because you're in good aerobic shape, doesn't mean you can bust Zumba moves without feeling it the next day. Maybe I should have streched first ...
We went to baby Oakley's baby blessing. It was very nice and left us feeling spiritually uplifted. Oakley was so beautiful in her white dress. There were a million people at Kevin and Nicole's. I don't know how we all fit. It was nice though and I'm glad we could go.
I finished Wuthering Heights. I loved it. The ending was quite different than I expected, but it was still good. I'd say it's one of my favorites. It's set back in the late 1800s, so if you like books by Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, etc., you'll probably like this one. I need to rent the movie. Now I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoevsky (author of Crime and Punishment). It will probably be a bit depressing, but I love reading about the Russian culture. It's actually quite beautiful once you understand it. This book might take me a while to read though, it's pretty thick.

6 comments:

Ashlee said...

I hope your legs and back are feeling better soon:( especially since you like to run, that's the worst! That's so funny that you mentioned you are reading The Brothers Karamamoz because I started reading it about a week ago! It is taking me a while to get through it like you said it is pretty thick, I also have to keep flipping to the front to the list of characters to keep them all straight! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Ashlee said...

BTW what did you think of Crime and Punishment?? Haven't read it yet but I think I shall after I finish this one...

Lacey said...

I've read Crime and Punishment 3 times in the last 5 years. I love that book. I didn't love it as much before my mission. It was living in Russia that made me love it and truly understand it. The thing to remember is that the Russian people think differently about most things. They are very prideful and incredibly stubborn. And they have a good reason to be that way. Yet, at the same time, they are so full of love and beauty. I think Dostoevsky helps us Americans understand the Russian culture better than anyone can, even better than Tolstoy (but that's just my opinion). I've heard The Brothers is better than Crime and Punishment, but I'm having a hard time believing that. I guess I'll find out ...

Ashlee said...

Thank you so much!! Crime and Punishment is next on my list and I really look forward to reading it. As I read Brothers I will probably be bugging you more as I get into the book about Russian culture and things like that :)

I have also heard that Brothers is better than Crime and Punishment. A friend of mine recommended it as a book that will "change your life."

Nicole and Kevin said...

You had a very busy weekend. I thought the movie on The Office with Jack Black was a little bit creepy :) Thank you for coming to the blessing, and thank you again for cooking the potatoes (you are seriously a life saver).

Unknown said...

Yea, that Zumba class was way hard. I am NOT in good shape, so it really did me in. I think I am STILL sore from it! We had a lot of fun that night. We need to do that kind of stuff more often!

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...