
Last week my work invited Robert Cooper to come speak to us. Robert Cooper wrote "The Other 90%" and "Get Out of Your Own Way;" books about the brain and how we can get our brain to work for us instead of against us. He's an incredibly smart and inspiring man.
We were able to bring our spouse with us, so Mitch came with me. Cooper said a lot of great things and I took a few pages of notes. But I want to focus on what meant the most to me from that night. Feel free to ask me about the rest later. My "nugget" for the night was, in Cooper's own words, "Be all in." What does that mean? Well, Cooper said that every time he returns home from speaking somewhere around the world, his daughters ask him, "Dad, was it worth investing a piece of your life in?" What a meaningful question: Was it worth investing a piece of my life in? Cooper said that if he was "all in" during whatever he was participating in, then yes, it was worth investing a piece of his life in. So how can you be "all in?" By remembering why you're here. Why are you doing this? Giving everything your all, all the time.
Cooper also said, "Our lives and work are shaped by moments, not days. Define the moment. Even when you're busy, stop and see what you can do, who you can help."
Amen, brother. Isn't that what it's all about? Whether your Robert Cooper, Mother Teresa, or President Thomas S. Monson, isn't that what we're all trying to acheive? To stop and see what we can do better or who we can help? And can't we do that by being "all in" all the time? Sure, I think it takes time to develop this characteristic, but think of what the world would be like if we all were all in, all the time. If we stopped being selfish and thought only of others. It would be amazing! We wouldn't stop to think about ourselves, status, race, money, or anything of the sort.
Speaking of that, last night I watched "The Secret Life of Bees." Great movie about the Civil Rights
Act. I bawled during some parts because I get so riled up over people and their attitudes towards African Americans. The movie really got me thinking. And I just don't get it - Why does the color of someone's skin make them any different? Aren't we all God's children? Doesn't He love us all, unconditionally? Aren't we all trying to be more like our Savior, Jesus Christ? If that's the case, then why do some people get concerned over people of a different race? That doesn't jive with Christianity. At all. Are you Christian or not? Sure, for most of us, this isn't a problem. Afterall, it is 2009. But I'm amazed at how many people still have this prejudice.Now, if there's one thing I've learned from being married to Mitch, it's that everything has two sides: spiritual and logical. I usually look at the spiritual side first, but Mitch is mostly logical. So, think about the logical side of this issue. If a person is born black, is he really any different than me? Of course not! God doesn't make him stupid or inferior because of his skin color. His circumstances may be different and he may not have the same opportunities as me to gain an education, etc., but that does not mean he's stupid or inferior.
"The Secret Lives of Bees" drove home how I feel about the whole black and white issue. We are no different from eachother except the color of our skin. I am not better than the next guy, whether he's black, Indian, Chinese, or whatever. God created us all and loves us all. He gave us all different talents and opportunities, but He didn't intend for us to feel that colored people are inferior. That is not His way and it should not be our way either.
I just can't understand how Americans could tear African Americans out of their native land, make them slaves, and then feel that they were stupid and worthless. What???

That makes no sense. Why on earth did people feel they were stupid? Just because they were living a different lifestyle than Americans? That doesn't mean they're stupid. And what's with the whole idea of slavery anyways? That idea makes me sick. What did black people ever do to Americans? Nothing. And even after slavery ended, why on earth did it take so long for blacks to get their civil rights? It makes me sick to think what we put them through. And the way some people still act towards them. Or any race for that matter. Sure, maybe one black guy did something wrong, but that doesn't mean they're all that way. There are plenty of white dudes committing crime, and yet most prejudice people don't hate white guys. What's the difference? We're not supposed to judge and we're supposed to forgive people, right? Were does prejudice fit into that puzzle? It doesn't. Ever.
I usually press my lips together really tight when I hear someone make a racial comment. For example, last week I heard this, "Her boyfriend's black. I hope she doesn't really love him." What? Are you kidding? Why shouldn't she love him? It's not your life. And even if it was, why does it matter if he's black? Maybe he's one of the best people you'll ever know. Just because he's black doesn't mean anything. He's just like you and me. Why not give him the benefit of a doubt? Why not love him as Christ does?
Last week was Father's Day and I forgot to post because I was sick. But if there's anything I've learned from my dad, it's to respect people.

Sure, most of the time my dad is a goofball, but he has always been really good about respecting people; the elderly, the armed forces, and veterans. He taught me the same. I think that goes along with people of different races. While I've always considered my dad a hardcore Republican, he voted for Obama. He was able to understand that voting is not about Republican or Democrat, or white or black; it's about doing what you feel is right and treating all people fairly. I have been appalled at the number of people who refused to vote for Obama, or support him now that he's president, simply because of the color of his skin. That's ridiculous. If you don't want to vote for him or support him because you don't like his ideas, fine. But the color of his skin should have nothing to do with it. And that goes both ways. If you only voted for him because he is black, then that's wrong too.
I'm thankful that my dad has taught me these things. My mom too. They're both very respectful of all people, regardless of age, race,social status, etc. I'm going to try harder to be "all in" and help people understand that we're all God's children and we should treat each other accordingly.
No comments:
Post a Comment