7.01.2009

It's a Start

Mitch and I planted our first garden. Go us; way to follow the counsel of our church leaders. I sure hope it's worth it in the end. I'm a little worried ... We spent three bucks a pop on each pepper plant (I love homemade salsa); peppers are about one buck each at the store, so to break even and make our efforts worth it we need to grow three peppers on each plant, right? Guess how many peppers we have, TOTAL, on all three pepper plants .... two. That's lame. However, I am very pleased that our little corn plants are doing so well. Fresh corn on the cob is one of my favorite things in life.

Maybe our garden is not propersing because we have NO idea what we're doing. We didn't know that you are supposed to have something for the peas to grow up on, hence the ghetto little fence thing that Mitch made (actually, I like the fence thing; it's creative). And we don't know what the plants are supposed to look like when they start growing. For example, we don't know if we can see the cilantro we planted or if it's just weeds. We really need to look it up online. We'll learn as we go I guess. Hopefully we will be rewarded for our efforts and obedience. Either way, it's a start. And, I must give credit to Mitch; he's definitely spent WAY more time in the garden than I have.

And, just to embarrass my mom, here's the scratch she made on the bumper of my car after she
RAN INTO IT! Ha,ha. Sorry Mom, I just had to. In her defense though, their driveway is always crowded with cars and it's hard to see where everyone is parked and I, obviously, parked in the wrong spot that day. It really isn't a big deal, afterall now the back of my car matches the front.
Ha,ha. When I bought my car it already had some scratches on the front; I didn't care though, the car was so inexpensive to start with I figured I could overlook a few scratches. Now it's paid off, gets amazing gas mileage, and won't break down (despite my daily wishes that something will break so I can have a valid reason to get a new car). So, with no real need for a new car and no desire to spend the necessary money to buy my dream car (a red, 2008, AWD, Cadillac CTS), I guess I'll keep driving my scratched up car and keep teasing my mom about running into it.

3 comments:

Ashlee said...

I like the new look, very cute! The simple "less is more" style is so appealing but at the same time I love all of the cute backgrounds too. It looks like your garden is off to a good start and don't worry you will get more peppers :) Gardening is so much fun, I am absolutely determined to develop that "green thumb."

BTW how did you like running in the Ragnar?

Nicole and Kevin said...

I think that your garden looks great! Last year was my first time gardening. It didn't go so well, but this year has been much better (I just picked my first bell pepper and I didn't get any last year). I think it is a learning process.

Blass Family said...

I love that you are doing a garden! I wish we had room for a big hug one! I just did one tomatoe plant in a five gallon bucket and cilantro in a little pot. You should try to put your herbs in pots it is easier to tell what they are :)

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...