I (finally) finished reading The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (he also wrote Crime and Punishment). I started reading it months ago and just couldn't get interested in it. The first part of the book is soooo boring, but I had heard it was Dostoevsky's "masterpiece" and since I LOVE Crime and Punishment, I felt that I had to read this one. I stuck with it and can finally say that I finished all 776 pages. I loved it. Not quite as much as C&P, but I can see why critics say this is his masterpiece. It was written beautifully and once I got into it I couldn't put it down. If you like C&P you should read this book. It also helps if you understand the Russian culture. If you don't, you'll certainly learn a lot about it. My favorite quote from the book sums it up: "Ah, children, ah, dear friends, do not be afraid of life! How good life is when you do something good and rightful!" (Alyosha, page 776).
Now I need to read a book that won't keep me up at night thinking about philosophy and Russians. I'm going to read The Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper. Indians and war. Not quite as depressing as Russians.
1 comment:
I feel like you deserve a congratulations for making it past the beginning and finishing it! I'm still stuck somewhere around page 250...but I will finish it eventually. It is hard finding time to read lately even though I am not in school. I have started three other books since I started Brothers K and I can't help but feel guilty and I come crawling back. I can't wait to read C&P, Cole really wants to read it too. It was really good to hear your review of the book.
By the way that really sucks you got that ill, that must've been miserable! Glad your feeling better though.
Post a Comment