7.30.2009

Panama Family Reunion: 2011

For those who don't know, my grandpa (my mom's dad), is from Panama. He moved here, all by himself, when he was 19 years old to attend Utah State University because he wanted to be a farmer. (He ended up retiring from Kennecott instead.) The rest of my grandpa's brothers still live in Panama. Their children are scattered around the world: Panama, France, Canada, etc.
My mom and her cousin are planning the first actual Panama Family Reunion. My great grandpa's birthday is in April. They decided to have the reunion during his birthday (he's 95 now and he's still doing great!). However, this April is a little soon for everyone to save for plane tickets, get a lot of time off work, etc., so it's being planned for April of 2011. It sounds far away, but I'm sure the time will fly by. I am so, so, SO excited to go! I'm excited to take Mitch; I've been telling him we need to go there someday.
I was able to go to Panama with my grandpa in April 2004 to celebrate my great grandpa's 90th birthday. It was a neat experience, mostly because I was a
ble to meet many family members that I had never met before. I also went to a crocodile farm, ate some crocodile (which really did taste like chicken), visited the Panama Canal, traveled to a small island to see some Cuna Indians, ate a lot of fresh fish and my favorite, fresh pineapple juice, went snorkeling, and tried to get to know my family members (who all, thankfully, speak excellent English). It was a great time and I'm so glad I went. Now, I'm even more excited that Mitch and my family can come.

Here's some pics from my trip in 2004:
My grandpa insisted that I dance with the Indians.

If you wonder how I tan so easily, it's because I'm
related to all of these people.

Here is my great grandpa with is three children.
My grandpa (Kermit) on the far left, then my great
grandpa (also named Kermit), then Tito, then Billy.
Here's the Indians that took us on our hour long boat ride to their island. They literally only grow hair on top of their head and their eyebrows. That's it. They are completely hairless everywhere else. I was so jealous.
I can't wait to see everyone in beautiful Panama! I better work on my tan before we go so I don't look pasty white next to everyone like I did last time. Ha,ha.

No comments:

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...