6.11.2010

2 Months Old

Where does the time go? Seriously. The last two months have flown by faster than any two months in my whole life. Here's some of the things Layla is doing at two months:
  • She "talks" all the time to Mitch and I
  • Smiles at us
  • Kind of enjoys her baths (at least she doesn't scream the whole time anymore!) She just sits quietly and stares. Doesn't hate it. Doesn't love it.
  • Doing great at tummy time
  • Grabs toys and holds onto them for extended periods of time (I think she might be left-handed; maybe she got my family's artistic gene and we be a great artist like her name sake, Leslie, was. We'll see.)
  • Sleeps (most nights) for 6 to 8 hour stretches
It is so much fun to watch her learn and grow! Here's a pic of her at two months. She wasn't very happy while we took this pic, as evidenced by her lower lip. Ha,ha.
She has her two month check up today. She's going to get her first set of immunizations. We're spreading them out so she doesn't get 6 at one time. I think it's a little ridiculous how many immunizations they give a baby all at once. So, Mitch made up a calendar that spreads them out so she gets two (sometimes three) immunizations per visit. I like it better that way. I took a class in college about childhood learning disabilities. Of course we covered the theory that immunizations cause Autism. I don't know if I believe that or not, but regardless I still think 6 immunizations in one doctor visit is too much, Autism or not. I realize that Mitch and I and millions of other kids were immunized the same way and we all turned out fine. I just think we know more about immunizations now, the public is more educated and aware, so why not take a few precautions? She will be fully immunized, it will just take a little bit longer. Except the Chicken Pox vaccine. I'm debating that one. We all had Chicken Pox and were fine. A new vaccine makes me a little nervous. It seems like 10 years after they come out with something they find out it has some nasty side effects ... I'll have to read up on that some more.
Anyways, we love having Layla with us. She's a doll and she's so sweet. Unless she's tired. She must take after me - she gets incredibly grumpy when she's tired, as both sets of grandparents learned this week! Ha,ha.
Life is good. Mitch is still enjoying his job. I am still editing for a DIY website and I also started as an English tutor for an online company called Smarthinking.com. I LOVE it so far. I don't officially start until August, when school starts, but I've been doing some training and it feels so good to use my brain again! It makes me feel smart again and I realize that those years of suffering through lectures and finals were all worth it. I'm excited for the upcoming semester to stretch my brain and help the students learn and understand new things. It's so nice to think about something besides dirty diapers and feeding schedules. Ha,ha. And it's only two hours a day, five days a week, so I can still have plenty of time for Layla. Taking care of her is the most rewarding job I could have, after all.

2 comments:

Chelsi Archibald said...

I'm glad you got a job online and that things are happy! I'd like to come visit you sometime and catch up :)

Julia M. said...

Time does fly, doesn't it? It sounds like Layla is already pretty good at sleeping, so you're lucky! I just started swaddling Phineas from birth in a Swaddle Me blanket at night, and reading him a bedtime book so he knew it was sleep time. He always went to bed really well, so I wasn't worried, but he kept waking up at night. At 4 months I decided I'd let him cry it out when he woke up in the middle of the night, and he cried one night for an entire hour (from 2-3AM), but every night after that he has been doing about 10-12 hours. It's the best. Seriously!

My sleeping book of choice is Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child. It gives you the ammo you need to allow your baby to cry. It was helpful.

Layla is so darling! I just watched your video of her talking, and I love it! Hooray for such an interactive baby!

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...