How can I say this the quickest way possible?
I'm freaking out because my grandpa is the healthiest person I know and two days ago he had SIX grafts done on his heart. Seriously, I have never met anyone who eats healthier than he does or who exercises more than he does.
But his dad had bypass surgery. Which proves how strong genetics are.
And that's why I'm freaking out. I have two great grandparents who had heart problems and three grandparents who had/have heart problems. That means that both of my parents could have heart problems in the future.
I've got it coming at me from both sides.
I have no choice but to eat healthier, exercise more, and hope that the heart problem genes from my parents are recessive. So here's to healthier living!!!
Now that the initial shock is over, I am grateful that everything has gone so well. My poor mom had a lot on her plate: my grandpa (her dad) told her on Friday night that he was having bypass surgery on Monday morning. My grandma (her mom) said she'd go with my mom and I to St. George to be with my grandpa during the surgery. (My grandparents are divorced, but they're good friends.) However, the day we were supposed to leave to St. George, my grandma called and said she was having trouble breathing. She went to the ER and found out she had heart problems too! My mom didn't know if she should stay with her mom or go and be with her dad in St. George. Seriously, can it get more stressful than that?
Well, in the end, we went to St. George. Grandpa's surgery went well; the doctor said he should be back to his 20 mile bike rides in no time. He's in a lot of pain right now and I feel so bad for him, but I'm glad that he got this fixed before he had a heart attack.
I will feel all the way better once my grandma's surgery is done today and she's home and feeling better.
So, this is a huge eye opener to me that I need to be healthier. Hopefully my healthy habits will outweigh my genes!
3 comments:
I'm in the same boat! I'm so worried about Brock now and am thinking, "we should probably get you in for all sorts of tests!!!" Hopefully, like you said, they are recessive, but it is important to exercise and eat healthy. I told Brock that he never told me this before we married and I expected flawless genes; now I'm stuck with him ;)
It sounds like you and your family have been through the ringer! I hope that everything goes well for your grandpa Kermit and grandma Ruth and that they may have a speedy recovery.
Sorry to hear that your family is going through some hard times :( I hope things get better soon.
Post a Comment