Sometimes I find myself prefacing a thought with the words, "In my next life ..." I guess it's my way of day dreaming.
Anyways, the other day Mitch and I were talking about how hilarious the Tina Fey/Sarah Palin skits were a few years ago. I still crack up every time I picture Tina Fey pulling out a flute and asking if it was the talent portion.
Thinking of Tina Fey led me to tell Mitch that, "In my next life, I want to live in New York and be a writer." Yes, that is one of my day dreams. I would live in an apartment in a high rise building (but not too high up because I'm scared of heights. But since this is a day dream then I guess I wouldn't be scared of heights anymore. In that case, I'd live on the top floor and have 360 degree views). I would be a talented writer, working for some big company, and I would have time to do yoga at a fancy spa that is within walking distance. When I am about 30 or 35 I would get married, have kids, and write from home.
That is my first next life.
In my second next life, I would be a horse jockey. I remember telling my dad when I was young that I wanted to be a horse jockey. I can't remember the exact conversation, but I imagined he laughed. I don't blame him; it's a funny thought to picture a little girl handling a 1,000 pound animal running at 40 mph.

I'll never forget the day I proudly told my dad that I weighed 110 pounds. I don't know why I was proud, but at the time it seemed like some sort of milestone. Anyways, I remember how disappointed I was when he told me I couldn't be a horse jockey because jockeys only weigh 110 pounds, soaking wet, with all their gear on. I was so bummed.
But that's what day dreams are for, right? (Because I'll never have the physique to be a jockey unless I starve myself and if I did that I wouldn't have the strength to stay on the horse!)
So, "in my next life" I will be a horse jockey.
What brought on this random chain of thoughts? I watched the movie Secretariat tonight. It reminded me of my childhood dream. It also made me cry. Not because the horse wins or because her parents die (sorry if I spoiled that for anyone), but because I want so badly to ride a race horse. Even if it's just one time around the track. I want to have a death-tight grip on the horse's mane, smell the horse's sweat, feel it's muscles move under me, squeeze my legs around the horse so I don't fall off, and feel the wind rip through my hair as we race around the track. That would be awesome.
Hopefully I can own a race horse in heaven. His name will be Silver Nitrate. And he will be the fastest horse in town.
No comments:
Post a Comment