6.28.2011

Stuff

I feel like we do so much around here and I hardly ever write about it. I need to blog more often so I don't end up with ridiculously long posts like this one.

Mitch went to Chicago last week for work and was able to attend a Cubs game. He hates baseball because it's too slow, but I think he had fun anyways. He also was able to check out the Sears Tower (the tallest building in the US) and said it was awesome.

Layla is walking all over the place. She still falls down and crawls here and there, but she's definitely getting better at walking.

For Family Home Evening the other night we ate dinner outside and let Layla "swim" in her wade pool.

I ran in the Wasatch Back Relay and had a blast. I'll post more on that later. One week later, last Saturday, Mitch and I decided to run 10 miles to train for our half marathon on the 4th. It was 80 degrees outside and I thought I was going to pass out while running. (I have Cardiogenic Syncope, which causes me to dehydrate and overheat really fast.) Stupid idea to run that far in the heat. Mitch saved me from passing out by running to Maverik and buying me a Gatorade. My hero! He ended up running 11.3 miles total. He's definitely ready for the race. Let's hope I am!

I made a scrapbook of Layla's 1st year of life. She loves it. Almost daily she'll pull it off the shelf, flip the pages, and point at people in the pics.
Here's a few things I want to remember about Bug at this age (14 months):
  1. She walks around the house saying, "dada, mama, KID-TEE!" (She pronounces "kitty" almost like it's two words.)
  2. She learned meow like a cat this week.
  3. She signs "more" and is now also using it when she wants to read another book. It makes me happy that she loves to read so much. For some reason the other signs are not catching on. Oh wait, that's because I'm totally not consistent. I really need to be better about that.
  4. She can show you where her belly is when you ask her. She lifts up her shirt every time and her belly is always bulging out.
  5. She goes up and down the stairs like a champ. She can also get off the couch by herself, but needs help getting on.
  6. She will finally keep her sunglasses on! And if you show her her reflection in the car window with her glasses on, she laughs and claps.
  7. She is close to mastering utensils. Tonight I helped her eat her veggies with her spork. Every time she'd get them in her mouth she would hand me the spork to hold so she could clap for herself. The girl thrives on praise. Even self praise. Super funny.
  8. She won't eat anything else for dinner until she's had her fair share of veggies. It's wonderful! She loves peas and carrots the most, but will also eat corn. She still refuses to eat the green beans and puts them in her cup holder. Once she's had enough veggies, she will usually eat whatever else we offer her.
  9. For the last three days she's been telling us when she goes poo. She'll say, "doo doo" and we check her diaper and it's poopy! I don't think Mitch believed me at first, but this morning I came back from running and Mitch said Layla had told him "doo doo" and he checked and she had pooped! Maybe we'll be potty training her sooner than I thought??
  10. She learned to "give kisses." Melts my heart. Especially when she is playing and comes over to me just to give me a kiss and then goes off and plays again. She's such a sweet girl. She also loves to give her kitty and lamb kisses. And she makes them kiss each other, which I think is super funny.
I am still waiting to hear back on the job I really want. I check in about once a week, only to be told that it's taking longer than normal, she sends me her most sincere apologies, and says, "hopefully next Monday." Hmmm. Well, at least that's better than a no.

My new aunt, "Auntie Laura" was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints last week by my Uncle Kent. She is so happy. He is so happy. We are so happy for them! What can I say? The Gospel is happiness!

What else? We put in three new windows upstairs. And by "we" I of course mean Mitch and my dad. Thanks again, Dad, for helping out and bringing your tools! And thanks to my brother Brock for getting us the sweet deal on the windows! They look awesome. Because we had crappy blinds for two of the new windows, I decided to be crafty and make a roman shade for the smaller window. I love the way roman shades look and would love to make them for our whole house (eventually).

My biggest mistake was buying fabric that is too light. As a result, the pleats don't fold quite the way I wanted them to. It's not exactly what I was going for, but I still really like it. And now I know to buy heavier fabric next time. On the other hand, the whole thing cost me less than 20 bucks!

I also joined Pinterest. Have you heard of it? It's basically a way to save ideas you find online. I love it. I've found all sorts of ideas, projects, etc. In fact, I learned how to make the roman shade from Pinterest. I also made these oreo-filled chocolate chip cookies, thanks to Pinterest. They ended up being HUGE and way too rich for my liking. I don't think I recommend them. I sent them to scout camp with Mitch.

And, I made a 4th of July wreath based on Pinterest inspiration. I'm pretty proud considering I am not the crafty type.
Caio!

No comments:

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...