When Mitch and I were engaged, we wrote a bucket list of things we want to do in the near future. Surprisingly, we've been able to do the more expensive/difficult things first, like go to Europe and Cambodia and remodel our kitchen. Some things we still need to do are swim with dolphins, go on a cruise, and go to Hawaii (all of which could be accomplished in one trip).
Last weekend we crossed one more thing off our list: hiking the Narrows in Zion Canyon. This one has been on my personal bucket list since high school, and it did not disappoint. In fact, it was awesome!

We were able to spend the weekend in St. George with my grandpa and he joined us on our grand adventure. (We dumped Layla off with my in-laws. She had a fun weekend too.) Hiking the Narrows was not nearly as difficult as we though it would be. If you've never ever hiked before, I don't recommend it, but if you are a fairly decent hiker, then it is doable. And it is SO much fun!

There is a path you follow for one mile before the canyon narrows. At this point you spend much of the time hiking through the river bed and the water was usually up to my knees or the middle of my thighs. At one point though, the water was up past my chest and let me tell you what, it was FREEZING cold!!! You could hear everyone gasping while crossing that section of the river; it was actually pretty funny. Besides that one deep spot, the water temperature actually felt nice and refreshing.
Here is Mitch in one of the many little coves.

This picture gives you an idea of how little it makes you feel to be in such a grand place. That's me, forging the river. The pictures don't do it justice though. It's breathtaking.

So before we left I was really worried about my grandpa hiking with us. He's 72 years old and had bypass surgery only seven months ago. Now, the man was always an excellent hiker, but I was expecting him to be slow or to even sit and wait for us. Wrong. I had to actually try my best to keep up with him! At one point, Mitch and I decided to go further and told him we'd come back and find him. He said, "Okay, I'm just going to take this short cut." We thought, "Short cut? Ya, whatever," and went on our merry way. About 30 minutes later, Mitch looks up and says, "Is that your grandpa?" Sure enough, the crazy mountain-goat-of-a-man had beat us! Not only does he know the shortcuts, but he's fast too. I was so impressed with him and glad that he is in AMAZING shape considering his surgery and his age. He might just outlive me. Ha, ha.
You can't tell in this picture, but my grandpa had actually climbed up onto this huge rock that people were diving off of. I had a feeling when we came around the bend that I would find him up there. Sure enough, I was right. At least he didn't dive off, though he did pretend like he was going to, just to scare me.

Here he is with his new kayak. We didn't have time to see him paddle around on a lake, so I asked if I could take a picture of him in his kayak in his living room. He said, "Sure! And I should wear my life jacket and hold the oar too!" So this is what we ended up with. He cracks me up.

We saw some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever laid eyes on. We both love the looks and feel of Southern Utah. In fact, every time we go to St. George, we spend most of the car ride home talking about where Mitch could work so we can move there. Obviously, there aren't any options in his field, or we'd be there by now! Perhaps we will retire there.


It was really crowded, which was kind of a disappointment, but it was neat to hear foreign languages from people all over the world. I told Mitch it was kind of sad that it took us so long to see the Narrows, when so many people travel half way around the world to experience the canyon. It really is worth seeing, especially when we live so close. I would love to go again!
4 comments:
that is awesome, we were going to be going this weekend and we cant! i am so sad, it looks amazing! did you camp, i head the campgrounds weren't open this year?? i am totally jealous!! it looks like you guys had a blast, i feel the same way about living so close to such amazing landmarks. i feel like i havent seen enough of my own home state, why!?
btw, your grandpa is rockstar!
What an amazing experience! That's awesome you guys were able to check that one off your bucket list. There are so many cool things like the narrows to do in Utah, many of which I want to see and do but regretfully never made it before we moved.
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun and your grandpa is a champ, no question about it!
Ha, Steve and I are still adding to our bucket list...but this one is on there. It's like I say about everything our state has to offer...take advantage. I feel the same way about Arches and Moab, people fly from all over the world and we are just hours away! Yup, cant wait for that one! Great pics, and I am now in love with your grandpa! Awesome guy
I love the narrows! Did you do the full 20 mile hike (the one where you have to take two cars)? I have hiked the narrows with my family a few times, but never done the full hike (my dad has and says it is well worth it), one day I hope to do the entire hike (it's on my bucket list :). It looks like you had a great time, and it is always nice to have a little break from the little one!
I love the picture of Layla and Oakley in the crib, it made me laugh!!!
Post a Comment