This morning Layla caught Mitch and I kissing. She looked at us and asked, "What you guys doing here?" We told her we were kissing and she got the biggest grin on her face and said, "Ohhhh." Ha, ha.
I just love that whenever she doesn't know what I'm doing, she asks, "What you doing here, Mamma?" It is so crazy to me that I can carry on a conversation with her now. There really isn't anything she can't communicate to me. If she doesn't know the right word, she can describe it in a way that I can understand. Last night she said she was "reaching" for something. She knows more words than I realize. She definitely has the verb + "ing" down. She also recognizes that adding an "s" to the end of a noun makes it plural, but sometimes she takes it too far, like when she says, "sheeps," though I think that's pretty smart because she is technically applying the rule. English just has too many exceptions. Anyways, she is a great little talker now and it definitely helps eliminate a lot of frustration because she can understand us and tell us things.
Not to say she doesn't have her tantrums. Last week Mitch put her in time out for 2 minutes and it was HORRIBLE. To make a long story short, she got extremely upset that she was in time out and for the next hour refused to calm down. As in, total body flailing, screaming bloody murder, sort of tantrum. Wow, she's never been that bad before. She really has a hard time with taking punishments well ... I guess we'll have to work on that.
She has been going in the potty once a day for the last two days, so let's keep our fingers crossed it continues! I rented a silly little video about a little girl who learns to go on the potty. I decided I would sit down and watch it with Layla so that I could talk to her about it and get her excited. Before we sat down, I stuck a pair of Layla's new Dora big girl panties under my shirt. When the girl on the video earned her panties, I whipped Layla's out and excitedly said, "Layla, look! You get Dora panties!" to which Layla calmly replied, "No. No Dora panties."
Wow, I felt like I totally deflated. Like a balloon. She was not excited at all. What a bummer. I won't give up though. She will be wearing those Dora panties by the end of the summer if I haven anything to do with it. As Dora says, "Never give up! Never give up!" (I've seen way too many kids' shows lately.)
Welp, we're off to the museum so we can be out of Mitch's way while he works from home today. If we stay here, Layla will insist on sitting on his lap and typing on his computer, while saying, "Daddy working and Baby working!" It is pretty cute, but makes it hard for Mitch to get anything done.
No comments:
Post a Comment