


The season is definitely changing here. It's chilly in the morning now and the sun sets much earlier, both changes that I love. Layla is off track for two more weeks and we're trying to fit in some fun. We went to the park with Camille and Brinley today, and we're planning to go the the zoo with them next week.
On Monday, Labor Day, I completed my 20 mile run for my marathon training! I ran 18 miles the week before and recovered well enough to do the 20 mile run. It was easier than I thought it would be for the first 15 miles, and then something changed and I thought I was going to have to crawl home. I didn't hit the wall, but every muscle in my legs were screaming at me and I hurt so bad!!! I pushed through and managed to very slowly jog the last two miles home, but I did it! Now I cut back for three weeks and run the marathon the end of the month. At first I had a tough goal of finishing under a certain time, but now my goal is to just finish. I am not the best runner, and I'm really slow, but I'm okay with that and I'm determined to finish even if I have to army crawl over the finish line! Ha, ha!
Layla is enjoying being off track. She misses her friends, but has managed to see a few of them over the break. She asked us for weeks to cut her hair and we finally, and regretfully, gave in. Her long hair was so naturally beautiful; all I had to do was wet it and comb it out and it looked amazing. But, she begged and we caved and now she has short hair. It's cute, and she's very happy with it. She looks a lot older with short hair and that makes me sad. But I'm glad she's happy.


She and I needed some good bonding time lately. I'm sure it's partly the stress of Chinese Immersion, Suzuki piano, etc., but she has been extremely resilient towards me lately and we've had a couple major blowouts that resulted in me screaming at her (which I've never done before) and her losing all sorts of privileges. I was finally at my wit's end and called her school counselor to ask for some tips and she put Layla in a little group that meets once a week. Layla has only been once, but we've been doing these little "exercises" with her to help her learn to calm herself down and have more positive self talk, etc. It has helped a lot. I can see a big difference and we haven't come to blows for a few weeks now. She listens so much better and has avoided getting mad over things that would normally set her off. I'm hoping when she goes back to school that it stays good and we continue on this path. Layla is so bright and strong-willed, which can be very positive traits if she uses them correctly. She seriously amazes me with how smart she is and other people (her teachers and church, school, her friend's parents) are always telling me how smart she is, but sometimes I feel like her brains get the best of her and she's too smart for her own good! I often have to remind myself that she's only five because she acts so much older most of the time. I love her so much and I am amazed by her and that I get to be her mom. I only hope that I can be the mom that she needs and help her in every way possible.
Marcus is talking now, full-on sentences and he actually manages to talk as much as Layla! As you can imagine, our house is never quiet. Sometimes I say it sounds like we have four kids, not only two, because there is so much chatter constantly going on! Marcus is also getting his two year old molars right now, which is giving him diarrhea, so my plans to potty trained have been postponed. We'll get there.
No comments:
Post a Comment