9.14.2008

The Botts' Weekend

This weekend was great. My cousin Lesley got married to a cool guy named Parker. Lesley looked beautiful on their wedding day and I am really happy for her. It was fun to see most of our cousins at her reception; we have so many cousins spread out over the country that it's nice when we can see some of them. Mitch and I enjoyed being back at the Salt Lake temple where we were sealed, it brought back memories of our recent wedding.
Lesley and I have a funny bond: her maiden name is Lesley Miles, my maiden name is Lacey Miles. This often created confusion as my sweet Grandma Miles would call Lesley my name and me Lesley's name. Also, we both served missions at the same time: Lesley was Sister Miles in New York and I was Sister Miles in Latvia.
Here's the bride and groom, me and my hubby, and me and my Grandma Miles.

On Saturday I was able to attend the Layton Utah Music Workshop that is put on by the LDS church. The workshops were amazing. The whole thing was very organized and time efficient. I was free to choose which workshops I wanted to attend. I went to two workshops about the organ and one about the importance of hymns.
One course was an introduction to the organ. I went with the intention of learning to play and left with the feeling that I'm not that talented. Ha,ha. I have a life-long goal to learn how to play all of the instruments. Growing up, I took piano lessons off and on and still enjoy playing for fun a few times a week. In 5th grade I started playing the clarinet in school and played until the 10th grade when I thought I was too cool for that (big mistake!). I also took violin lessons one summer after highschool and was able to play in a recital and I was so proud (then my violin teacher moved and I started at Weber and never took up lessons again). Recently, I got a drum set and want to learn to play, but have not had time for lessons. And sadly, I realized after purchasing the drum set that they don't interest me that much anymore. I'll probably still learn how to play them though. The organ just seems much more interesting.
SO, I wanted to see if I could teach myself the organ. My hopes were quickly shattered. I would definitely need an instructor and a lot of guts to play in sacrament meeting. I'm thinking about it for now. It would take a lot of time to practice.
At the end of this workshop they had a fireside where Alex Boye, Jon Schmidt, and some opera singer lady came and spoke/performed. I'm a HUGE Jon Schmidt fan and loved hearing him play and speak. I am very glad I went to the workshop and I learned a lot about the importance of hymns and the things they can teach me. I love music and playing instruments. On Saturday night I went to the fair with my friend Nicole. I love the fair and was glad we could go. Our poorsport husbands stayed home and watched the blowout U of U game. We all met up later and hung out. It was fun.
Today at church I had to teach my class of crazy 15 year old girls AND a class of 13 year olds.There were 14 teenagers total. Needless to say it was incredibly loud and unorganized in our classroom. One girl got another girl's bracelet stuck on her arm, above the elbow, and couldn't get it off, which led to a room full of loud giggles. She had to go to the bathroom and get it off with running water. I was flustered by the end and thankful I didn't become a highschool English teacher, but I did have a good laugh about it all. I just hope they learned something about Samuel the Lamanite ...
Sunday evenings always make me a tiny bit sad because it means the next day is Monday. Blah. But every Monday back to work and school brings me one week closer to graduation! Yeah!

2 comments:

BaconandBitch said...

You went to Latvia? One of my best friends is in the Baltic States mission right now. We almost went to Riga when we were in Europe this summer. You will have to meet my friend when she gets home from her mission! By the way, you are so dang cute!

Julia M. said...

What a beautiful wedding! You two are a very impressive couple. I love going back to the SL temple, too. It makes me feel giddy all over again. :)

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...