3.01.2009

Borshch

Mitch and I were asked to participate in a missionary activity for our ward. They had the church set up as the MTC, Missionary Tasting Center (ha,ha). We brought pictures and souvenirs of our mission to display. We also each had to teach a district of missionaries. I taught my district the alphabet, the numbers 1-10 in Russian, and talked about the Baltics. Mitch taught his district some Khmer letters and talked about Cambodia. The best part was the food. Everyone brought a native food from their mission. We had everything from rice and black beans to curry and borshch. I made the borshch. It's beet soup. It's bright pink from the beets and it's disgusting. I don't even like it, but I made it because it is definitely a Russian dish. I did eat some of it, but I refused to take the rest home so I got rid of the leftovers at the church. Hee,hee. Mitch made sticky rice and it was delicious! It's a sweet dessert rice made with coconut milk and sticky rice. Very fattening but oh so good.
It was fun and very interesting to see everyone's mission pictures and hear about the places they served. I'm glad we were able to participate. It was fun to wear my missionary badge and pretend for a day. I will never regret my decision to serve a mission, but I'm glad to be married and on to the next stage in life. :) Mitch and I took our pictures by the map and pointed to where we want to go on our couples mission. Ha,ha. Cheesy I know, but so fun. We pointed to Egypt. Who knows? We might have missionaries there by the time we're retired. The Gospel is spreading fast and it is amazing to see the growth of the Church. In Sunday school today I taught my class about the organization of the Church. They were stunned that in 1830 the Church was organized with only 6 members. Now, less than 200 years later, it's grown to 13 million. That totally excites me and I can't wait to see how many members there will be when I'm serving a mission with Mitch.
And Harvey got a bath today ... poor little guy!

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Ohhhh...poor Harvey!

That must have been fun pulling out all your missionary stuff and to reminisce, wear the badge again :) That sticky rice looks dang good, I love food from the different cultures around the world!

Nicole and Kevin said...

The Borshch does look gross, but the sticky rice was way good :)

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...