6.15.2010

Nostalgic

I walked outside today to check the mail. The warm breeze hit me with the sound of a neighbor's lawnmower, the smell of fresh cut grass, and memories of Mitch and I during our blissful dating days. Springtime, warm weather, and sunny days always remind me of when Mitch and I dated before my mission. Ahhh, such happy memories full of sunshine and smiles.
I walked back inside and found our cat, Harvey, insistent on going outside so he could enjoy the sunshine as well. I wasn't going to let him- we just bathed him two nights ago and I didn't want him to get filthy dirty again from rolling on the cement. But he got his way. (More like he annoyed the crap out of me with his incessant meowing until I finally let him out.) Then I started thinking, "Why didn't we get a dog? I'm really more of a dog person anyways." I love dogs. If I could choose, I think I'd get a German Shepard. They're smart, loyal, protective, and cute. (But ask me tomorrow and I might have a different answer. I like almost all dogs.) Honestly, the only reason why we got a cat over a dog in the first place is because at the time we were both working full-time and going to school so we were never home to take care of a dog. Also, our yard is not fenced in and I don't want the dog to be inside all of the time. So, we got Harvey. Now I love him and all, but sometimes I still want a dog. Perhaps if our next house has a fence we can get an adorable German Shepherd puppy. Or a black lab. Because really, what's cuter than a puppy?
You don't have to answer that.
But I digress.
Back to my nostalgia. As I was thinking about summertime and how even Harvey loves the summer, my thoughts wandered to my favorite thing about summer: Lake Powell!!! What's better than an enormous lake with water so warm it feels like a bath, millions of stars that glitter and shoot across the sky, a houseboat full of people you love, and morning ski runs on sheets of glass? ... Nothing. That's the answer. Nothing is better than Lake Powell. I could vacation there every single year and be happy. This year my family decided to skip Powell since we're all going to Panama for a family reunion (it would be very expensive to do both). But I insist that we go next year! And I will finally learn how to wakeboard ... Here's an old pic of us at Rainbow Bridge. And yes, that's my dad with no shirt on. That's one of the great things about Powell: you don't have to get dressed, you can wear your swimming suit 24/7 if you want. Gotta love it.
Ahhhh, the joys of summer. My Grandpa Kermit and I used to spend a lot of time biking in the summer. I miss that. He moved to St. George. Plus, he's always traveling. He travels more than anyone I know. He was in Panama right after Layla was born (his dad, my great grandpa and Layla's great great grandpa, who lived in Panama, passed away the day after Layla was born) and he's going to Peru next week. So last week, in between his busy itinerary, he came to meet Layla for the first time. My aunt Michelle also met Layla for the first time. We decided on family picture time for those of us who were there. There you have it, four generations of Panamanians. Ha, ha.
Ahhh, summer. Dating Mitch, Lake Powell, biking with Grandpa (he could always outbike me, btw), and just the general sunnyness of it all. It makes me so happy.
And just a little nostalgic.

1 comment:

Nicole and Kevin said...

Puppies are adorable, but Layla is much cuter!

2024 Wrap Up

Here we are, a new year, and I'm sitting in awe of how quickly the last year went by. Is this how it goes? The older I get, the more qui...