I loved the book. It made me actually enjoy learning about history. (Sorry, Natalie, but history is not my forte.) However, Tolstoy has a way with words and helped me understand the significance the Napoleon Era had on the Russians. If you're debating on whether or not to read War and Peace, I recommend it.
It also influenced my dreams and for several nights everyone in my dreams had Russian names, which are already long anyways, but in my dreams they were exaggerated and ridiculously long, like Anna Pavlovnaskayachika Rostovaskayachika. Ha, ha! For a few days I even called Layla "Laylichka" in my head. Between actually knowing Russian and reading this book, these crazy names kept popping into my head all the time. It's a good thing I finished reading it before I started speaking Russian to everyone. Pazdravlyayoo menya.
1 comment:
Ha ha, it's ok. Soo many people don't like history and think I'm crazy for loving it! I'm used to that reaction by now. I'm glad you liked learning about Napoleon. The Napoleonic Wars are one of my favorite time periods in history. It was really a world changing time, especially when he tried to invade Russia at the same time he was fighting war on the other side of the continent against the British. Interestingly enough, Hitler would make the same mistake during WWII and is one of the reasons Germany lost. I LOVE this time period :)
Post a Comment